• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86' STX (FREE truck!)

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Some backstory:

We moved into our current residence about 2 years ago and saw this little Ranger sitting underneath of a tree of an abandoned business lot on our road, along with an old Kia and a bunch of junk behind the building. I didn't think much of it at the time but continued to pass it everyday on the way to work. A shame it had to sit there and rot away; I noticed the STX badge on the back and saw that it sat high so I figured it had to be 4x4 too.

About 2 months ago with other projects finished, I finally left a note on the window for whomever it may be expressing my interest to buy said truck. At that point I noticed that it was indeed 4 wheel drive, along with 5 speed which my absolute ideal combo! Neat! A week went by with the note untouched, so at that point I figured that it's completely abandoned and worth a shot to put into the DMV to try to claim....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We need pics...
And more story too.

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Out of the grave she comes

Junk Kia out of the way

Turned around and on the hook home!

No rot underneath! Missing driveshaft...hmm

Fuel tank appeared to maybe be leaking too.

Made it home!

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Morning glory

Here she is in clearer view! 86' STX, 2.9L 4x4 5 spd

According to the VIN, this vehicle is equipped with 4.10 gears AND limited slip. That sounds fairly desirable.

The trailer hitch is useful, so is the tool storage

I like the older tailgate design lettering and badging

Obviously tires will be in order before the truck hits the road. I was thinking 31's? I plan to be using the stock wheels, as I don't want anything crazy huge but I do want to fill the wheelwells a bit more than stock size

The very first order of buisness will be cleaning. I'll try to take care of that this weekend. Looks like someone forgot to invite me to the party

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
So... did you just steal it or did you actually manage to obtain the title?

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd like to go to the yard and find that front trim piece around the grill. With that said, there's not much to say as the exterior is pretty straight.

Interior is rough. I will start by cleaning the best I can. CRUISE means I can ride this sucker down to the Richmond race with ease

See the dash? I wonder what options I have for that. Everything is here minus the top of the lock for the driver's side door. Maybe the innards are gone.

Good news! Everything underneath of the hood is still there. Not surprising to me is that there's a nest up in the corner. Hopefully rodents didn't eat up too much. I see butt connectors galore up front along with non-stock wiring so someone has been in that.

That's all for now. I would say that I'll start by cleaning junk, getting a battery + gas and seeing where we stand. There's a reason someone left this for dead. Me and my wife think that the previous owner is dead or in jail, because this is too nice of truck to give up on

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Dirtman, the vehicle is titled and in my name. I went through the state and completed the abandoned vehicle process to legally obtain this truck, which took close to 2 months. They put in the legwork and try to contact any previous owner through certified mail and other means. If no one claims it, it's yours!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Dirtman, the vehicle is titled and in my name. I went through the state and completed the abandoned vehicle process to legally obtain this truck, which took close to 2 months. They put in the legwork and try to contact any previous owner through certified mail and other means. If no one claims it, it's yours!
What state is this? 'Cause I can be gone for work for up to three months at a time, and don't want to live somewhere where someone can steal my vehicles while I'm out working to pay for free sh*t the government hands out.

Either way, well appointed truck, and nice find!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Also, fairly certain that's a 89-92 tailgate.

Aftermarket gauges under the dash tells me you're going to have some mechanical issues.

I may be incorrect, but it looks as if it's lifted a little more than the factory high rider package.

Pepsibottle1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Junkie, I'm in Virginia. Now obviously you can't go to someone's house or private property and start claiming vehicles at will, but if there is an abandoned vehicle that is deemed so (unregistered, derelict, untouched), you can go through the state/county and begin the process. Everything along the way gets verified by officials. This truck sat here for well over 2 years untouched in an old abandoned lot full of junk and trash. At least this Ranger will get a new lease on life.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Wow it's a legal nightmare to get any kind of salvage title or anything except a direct owner to owner transfer in this state. I had a 65 mustang someone gave me with no title, after 2 years fighting to title it I had to part it out, cut it up what was left of the unibody and scrap it. (Junkyard wont even take cars with no title).

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Junkie, I'm in Virginia. Now obviously you can't go to someone's house or private property and start claiming vehicles at will, but if there is an abandoned vehicle that is deemed so (unregistered, derelict, untouched), you can go through the state/county and begin the process. Everything along the way gets verified by officials. This truck sat here for well over 2 years untouched in an old abandoned lot full of junk and trash. At least this Ranger will get a new lease on life.
Oh I don't doubt it. Some of mine have sat for two years as well. Not to self: stay the hell out of Virginia ?

Other than that, you have some work ahead of you. Before you try to start it, definitely thoroughly go through the engine.

I'm a big fan of the 2.9 (there's only 5-10 of us on here that are; keep in mind, everyone else here hates them), but a parked 2.9 with an aftermarket oil and coolant gauge is a red flag. Especially in a state with hot summers. Take a look in the tech section about 2.9 heads.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Wow it's a legal nightmare to get any kind of salvage title or anything except a direct owner to owner transfer in this state. I had a 65 mustang someone gave me with no title, after 2 years fighting to title it I had to part it out, cut it up what was left of the unibody and scrap it. (Junkyard wont even take cars with no title).
...want to hate yourself?

My Coronet had no title.

Called the Vermont DMV (I live in PA), they searched the vin, car was never reported stolen. Sent them a check for 6% of the NADA value and a copy of the bill of sale, and they sent back plates and a registration. Car was now legal to drive.

Walked into a PA notary with the registration, plates, and a vin verification form, and they issued me a new PA title that supersedes all others. According to the title, I'm the original owner, bought it new in 1953 (I was born in the late 80s).

This is 50 state legal to do. Google "Vermont Title"

I make side money at times by doing this to no title stuff from Craigslist.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I had the same tailgate on my 88...

That's a pretty cool truck... looks to be in good shape too.

If you look up a post by @Shran titled I just bought a High Rider... he has done a great job of documenting the differences between a standard truck and a STX.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had the same tailgate on my 88...
They had them since the beginning, it was an appearance package thing.

I thing the actual letters were tweaked over the years though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals