• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Standard cab, can I fit 5x7's on my door without interference with the window?

rang-a-stang

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I want to put a 5x7 on my door in the location I circled in red. Pretty sure I would be fine (I don't have a problem cutting/drilling) but I want to make sure the window won't touch it when I roll the window all the way down. Anyone know for sure?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have Pioneer 6x8s in the doors of my '90... I would think the interior of the doors on your '86 are similar enough, which if so, 5x7 or 6x8 should fit. There may already be a pre-cut hole behind there. On mine I had to of course cut the hole out a little bigger, but everything went smoothly I recall. Just make sure the speakers you pick out don't have an obnoxiously deep magnet and you should be fine.

rang-a-stang

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
OK, cool. I will check. I have seen some other posts where it looks like Ford may have put speakers in the rear lower corner of the door but I would think that would muffle the sound some.

Another related question: I see a hole with a rubber plug in my door where a conduit could have been installed to pass power window/Door lock/speaker wires through but I do not see a corresponding hole/plug in my door jamb. How did the factory harness pass through, into the body?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The factory speakers on mine are almost right where you have your red circle

As for the wire harness, on mine it appears to go behind the fender (between the inner & outer fenders) all the way up to the front and then connects to another harness right behind the headlight (both sides). Kindof a strange way of doing it, but I guess copper was a lot cheaper way back when these things were built.

rebuild83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 suspension
Tire Size
235/75 r 15
More than likely there will not be a precut hole in 1986. 6x8 will fit in the door. But the window regulator makes it a real tight fit plus the bottom of the door panel may not allow the door seal to have clearance. It will take some careful trimming a little at a time. Make sure you use a all weather sound seal to fit in the hole for the speaker.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
On the old Rangers the door harnesses did go all the way up, and across the radiator support. Not sure, off the top of my head, where the wires that needed to come inside the cab, like speakers for '89-92, would have went through the firewall. Power locks and window wires didn't really need to come into the cab.

If you're interested, I can check the '86 EVTM for you, but it won't show speaker wire routing into the doors (dash speakers only through '88).

rang-a-stang

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Cool. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the offer @RobbieD. I do have have the EVTM and see how they are wired but was not sure the best way to route them. I will find a good way and make sure it is all secure.

rebuild83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 suspension
Tire Size
235/75 r 15
There is a rubber plug on some years behind the emergency brake cable that you could access in the door fender gap area but I think it would be much easier to go through the firewall behind the fender and drill a hole into the door from inside the door or take the fender off and drill that way.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
this is an older thread i know, and not sure how this has turned out for the project.

However, earlier in the year I had to replace a set of speakers in the operators cab of a 966 bucket loader, and after all the inspections where the original ones were located, I seen room was an issue. Searching the interwebs found this style of speaker that was extreme for tight places. they sound decent for the price, so if you are worried about room, something like this could be what you are looking for. cheers

Last edited:

rang-a-stang

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Sooooooo.... been a while. We ordered a set of Rockford Fostgate 6x9's. We positioned them as low and foward in the door as we could. The window glass in our 86 DOES make contact with the magnet. In fact, it damaged a speaker. So I headed to the wrecking yard and picked up a new window from a 91. I was stoked to see this one had speaker a little higher in the door than ours is.

When I pulled the glass out, I noticed it has a cutaway where my 86 glass did not! I was super stoked, assuming this would bolt in to place, angels would sing, and I could move on.

But I was wrong. This curve is father back in the 91. The regulator in the 91 door is further after, too. So this meant 2 things:
1) it was a PITA to get this glass into my 86.
2) the curve did nothing to help me.
3) this fits worse because where my speaker lands, the window actually hangs lower in the door (pictures later tonight).

I am going to call some local glass shops and see if I can get it trimmed. ggrrr.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals