• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 ranger fuel pressure question

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ok, so im doing a 302 swap in one my rangers, its going to have a holley 4160 4bbl carb on it, which requires 5-7 psi of fuel pressure.. my question is does anyone know the pressure of the IN TANK pump, not the one on the frame rail..

hopefully its sufficient, planning on using an inline regulator anyways... ive had bad luck with in-line pumps starting "dry" without a pusher pump in the tank..

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't recall the PSI, but its fairly low. I'm fairly certain that it pushes enough for a carburetor, but it may still be too much. IIRC I've read of several people using the in-tank boost pump to feed a carbed swap with in-line pressure pump removed. You should be good to go especially if you are running a regulator as well.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
thats good to know, a mechanical setup with cost me roughly 75-85 for a mechanical fuel pump and the eccentric.. already got a new timing chain cover for a conventional water pump which already has the provision for a mechanical pump... the regulator is roughly $30 plus i would rather install a new fuel pump while im redoing everything so it'll come to be roughly the same cost wise for elec an mech...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've done a little looking around and it seems like that in tank pump should be good for 4-6 psi. That makes it sound borderline low to perfect, YMMV.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals