• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 ranger 2.9L to a V8 swap!!

Ps3godly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My neighbor has a 86 ranger he is about to sell for a decent price, beautiful body 4x4 works great but the tranny (manual) is about shot and the engine (2.9l V6) is very high mileage. I would like to take the engine and tranny out and replace it with a carbureted smallblock v8 and appropriate trans, but i've always been a Mopar guy so i have no idea what i can fit in there or even what engine trans combo's ford has.... any suggestions???

maybe an auto trans got about $5500 to throw at drivetrain was looking at crate motor and remaned trans...

doesn't have to be a ford motor either if a chevy or mopar will fit that would be cool i have those sitting around my yard...

Thx for reading

Last edited:

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Summit sells mounts and headers to put a 5.0 in a Ranger. I'd go that route and get a C4 or AOD as the transmission.
Plenty of people have done that very swap.

Ps3godly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks, that will work perfectly.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you're a Mopar guy, put a Mopar engine and drive train in it if you think you are up to the task LOL. Definitely not a common swap, but 460 big blocks have been installed..

5.0L would easier, all of the info you need on the swap is out there. Watch what headers you buy, research this subject to save yourself a headache. Particularly watch out for the Hedman 89500s. Most recommended motor mount wise is to use the convertible mustang mounts, and drill/slot holes in the cross member.

AOD w/ a carb, be sure to look and see what you're getting into with the kick down cable adjustment, just so there are no big surprises.. Nice to have OD though. Had a 327 w/ a TH350 and wished I had OD at 65-70 down the high way, but a C4 is a decent trans, just a 3 speed. Manual would be a blast though.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals