• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Ranger 2.3 Stall/Loss of Power Stop and Go Traffic

T-Rey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
My 86 Ranger will start to stall and lose power during stop and go traffic during the summer. It is a 2.3 with a 5 speed. I mainly use it to haul trash and make short trips to town. I also will drive it about 45 minutes into a larger near by city a few evenings each week to carry my son to practice. This is where I run into trouble. During the summer, in stop and go traffic, it will start to idle rough while at stop lights and will occasionally stall. I have always been able to restart it immediately. It will also have a loss of power and sputter when pulling off from stop lights. This never happens during cooler weather or if I am making short trips during the summer.

I have read multiple posts about similar symptoms but none match mine exactly. If I were to start to throw parts at the problem where would you start?

I do have a cheap Ford OBD1 scan tool and some basic mechanic skills.

Thanks

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Since you are fuel injected, you should not be having fuel problems in the heat. Another common problem though, is the TFI ignition module mounted on the distributor. The heat really does them in, they had a lot of problems with them when they came out. So many problems in fact, that Ford finally took the module off the distributor and remote mounted it on a heatsink.

You could try a new module and see if the problem goes away. Make sure you use lots of heat sink grease on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals