• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 f350

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
So I posted this thing up awhile back when i first go it.. paid $600 for it and drove it home. Ive been working non-stop on it for about the last week and I've gotten some decent progress on it so far. I am about $2800 into it now with all the parts I bought, although it still looks like hell, most of the mechanical is coming to an end and then I can start on cosmetics.

Parts:

I tore the motor down to the block, cleaned everything.... That took nearly 2 days to do by myself. Finally ended up getting heads back on. I'm using the Fel-pro gaskets and ARP studs, over torqued 15lbs.

Also used Fel-pro manifold gasket and everything else. You can see the extra drain holes i punched in it.

Replaced the 6.9 pump with a 7.3 pump. I'm also using "B" code injectors. Got the fuel system reassembled.

VDO water temp sender

Trans in

engine as of tonight:

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
got some more work done today. Stripped the interior. Turns out there is a bit more rust in the rockers than I first thought, but I will still be able to patch them up no problem. The main parts of the floor are solid.

Got the clutch pedal assembly in... the hole I cut and mounted the master cyl in is too low so that sucks, I will have to move it tomorrow. Got the accessories back onto the motor minus the alternator which needs to be replaced, and the A/C compressor which I will put back on when I get all new A/C parts.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Very nice. I just picked up an '87 about a month ago. I'm not running any boost though. The IDI's just run forever.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
so I have come to the realization that 1 of 2 things will happen. Either this truck will eventually get a cab swap, or its parts will go into a good rolling chassis. The cab rust in the rockers turned out to be pretty bad.

Now, I am by no means good at body work, but I think that this will hold the truck over for quite some time.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, so many old trucks that I see as good deals have these secret problems. At least that motor has a turbo. I'm assuming it is a tow vehicle and there is nothing worse that a nastily asspirated diesel as a tow vehicle.

I bought my '88 in Florida 6 years ago almost exactly with 46,000 on it and the body was like new. I'm just this year starting to see rust in the usual places. I bought this for practical reasons knowing it would eventually succumb to the midwestern rust, but now I see it as a classic that I should take care of. I need to sell it and get a newer truck, but I doubt I will. It serves my purposes too well. I think it will rust out from underneath me in 20 years.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
ok so although ATS has quit building parts for these trucks, hypermax and Banks still do, and Banks makes a downpipe to fit the ATS kit. I ordered the downpipe Wednesday, paid for 2nd day air and came out to $149.95. Received that pipe friday, but I was on EOC 24hr duty so I couldnt do anything with it. The issue with the stock exhaust housing is that its only 2.25" at the outlet. Pointless to put a 3" downpipe on and still have a 2.25" outlet on the exhaust housing.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
thanks. Ya its coming together. now that all of the mechanical is pretty much finished, I can start on wiring all of my gauges and putting interior back together.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic

almost done... just have to finish interior.

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lookin good...really liken the dash

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals