• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 f-250

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
got an 86 f-250 efi 302...no balls..no power..yada yada yada....know how to fix it.....swap in a 4bbl!!!!good bye efi...haha...any who...i dont know what the tranny is....i think it is the aod...if so....can i make that tranny work with a carb set up?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No balls because it needs a 460. It won't make more power by adding a 4bbl. Look down the throat of a 4bbl. You have 4 little 1" venturis in there, with booster venturis and other assorted junk in the way, then a 90* turn at the bottom and runners going everywhichway. So 4 1" venturi's is 506mm^2 and one 60mm TB is 2,800mm^2 in area. It would take a really big carb to flow with an EFI--and that large of a carb wouldn't have enough airspeed through the venturis to pull the fuel out of the bowls at low speeds. And the EFI has no 90* bend for the air to slam into. The carb needs disturbances (like venturis which choke the airflow to make the air speed up for the pressure drop to pull the fuel up through the jets) built into the system to keep the fuel particles from seperating out. The EFI flows more air, period. Why do you want to choke your engine? That's not very much engine for an F250. Like I said, the real answer is get a 460. Even a 5.8 is kind of weak in an F250.

And the computer is probably doing the 3-4 shift and the converter clutch lock-up.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What kind of EFI is it? If it is throttlebody then there are probably better ways to get the fuel to the engine.

I doubt a 1986 has a computer controling much of the transmission.

Also remember that this thing is 22 years old, how good of shape is the engine in? A 3/4 ton is a lot of truck for a healthy 302 anyway...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
An 86 would be multiport I believe. In any case, not TBI. Should look similar to this:

I'd second the 460. The 302 in my F150 feels like it has a ton of power, but no torque. Pulling trailers and stuff just kills it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals