• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Bronco II... G-Unit

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would probably do some probing around to check voltages at your TPS and see if someone messed with the throttle stop, in addition to making sure your IAC is functional.

I have had weird issues with vehicles that have sat for a while that I think I can attribute to injectors gummed up with old fuel. My wife's '87 did that, even after a fresh tank/pump/filter/fuel... the idle would fluctuate between barely running and 1000+ RPM. I just let it sit and run for quite a while and it eventually cleared up and runs great now. My V8 truck did something similar when I pulled it out of storage after 2 years last week too. Maybe yours just needs some run time on it to get the blood flowing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would probably do some probing around to check voltages at your TPS and see if someone messed with the throttle stop, in addition to making sure your IAC is functional.

I have had weird issues with vehicles that have sat for a while that I think I can attribute to injectors gummed up with old fuel. My wife's '87 did that, even after a fresh tank/pump/filter/fuel... the idle would fluctuate between barely running and 1000+ RPM. I just let it sit and run for quite a while and it eventually cleared up and runs great now. My V8 truck did something similar when I pulled it out of storage after 2 years last week too. Maybe yours just needs some run time on it to get the blood flowing.
Like a quick run down to Attica in a couple weeks...

Great chance to blow the cobs out of it!

:icon_idea:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The peer pressure in Attica would be overwhelming. I haven't ruled that drive out... but it is looking less likely everyday.

This old truck has sat for 15 plus years... it's gonna need lots of tinkering. If I give it a vacuum leak... it's smooth running at about 1000 rpms. I did have 12 volts at the IAC but that's as far as I got. I did plan on dialing in the anti dieseling screw and the TPS while I'm in there fooling with it. The exhaust smell rich and it smokes a little bit at operating temp. Not oil or anti freeze... just smells rich. The oil is clean but I think I'm gonna change it before I continue... new filter and get my gauges up and running too.

My wife thought I didn't have enough to do... so she bought a fixer upper house about 6 doors down the road to ensure I have plenty to do. We close on it today... YAY!!!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
And yeah... we needed another house in Illinois like I needed another hole on the head. Thankfully it was about the cost of the lot in our neighborhood.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
And yeah... we needed another house in Illinois like I needed another hole on the head. Thankfully it was about the cost of the lot in our neighborhood.
Something has to pay for the Beach house in Florida. ;)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does it have a garage tho?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Does it have a garage tho?
That would be awesome if it did... but it doesn't. It has a big lot and I thought maybe I would put one of those metal garage/sheds on it. The plan is to fix it up a bit and our youngest is going to rent it... until she repairs her credit enough to pull a mortgage. It sounds good in a perfect world... but I think it's going to be a nightmare.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I really feel you need to play a more active role in shopping for these fixer upper house projects... you keep making her do all the legwork and you are never going to get one with a shop. :no2:

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
i am not familiar with the term spear head, what do you mean exactly?
I really feel you need to play a more active role in shopping for these fixer upper house projects... you keep making her do all the legwork and you are never going to get one with a shop. :no2:
I was the one that found the house we live in now. She sold our old house and we needed a house with very few houses on the market. Well... that didn't have grossly inflated asking prices. I really don't want to live here but... zestimate says we've made enough on this house to buy the one 6 doors down.

We've discussed putting one of those metal garages up at the new place she just bought... and it may very well be what we do. I'll store the Bronco in it as long as it's rented. If the kid pulls a mortgage... I'll be back at square one. That metal garage won't do anything but up our selling price and make it a bit more attractive come selling time.

She already knows the place in Michigan will either have a nice shop... or one will be built the day after we close that deal.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Read and loved the entire thread @Uncle Gump! Thanks for the link. I found the tank easy enough on Amazon but as far as the pump/sender and filter (and hoses or other ancillary parts) did you have a list/links? 👀 Easy enough to get this done while I'm at everything else...:ROFLMAO:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
EVIL ENERGY EFI 255LPH Electric Intank Fuel Pump High Flow 43PSI Kit https://a.co/d/0hLCbrX

EVIL ENERGY 50mm Fuel Filter Mounting Bracket, Fuel Pump Clamp Holder Black https://a.co/d/6l9hoME

K&N Gasoline Fuel Filter: High Performance Fuel Filter, Premium Engine Protection, 1996-2017 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Fuel Injected Gasoline Engines, PF-2000 https://a.co/d/50hmZE5

@Peter Griffin those are the major components I used. But my Bronco did not have an in line filter. You could probably use your existing Fuel Filter if you have one already in place.

The other thing I bought was a Dorman nylon fuel line repair kit. In hind site and looking at today's pricing I would just buy the tool that presses the fitting into the lines and not a complete kit.

Dorman 800-301 Fuel Line Repair Tool Universal Fit https://a.co/d/bCyF9BV

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Also... my fuel tank was really bad. I bought that on Amazon also. It was a return and I got it for less then $50.

I couldn't find the fuel sender on Amazon and went local. It was a Spectra part.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I guess I will add a bit more...

You have two different size lines on your truck... 3/8 and 5/16. If you do this mod... all lines end up being 5/16.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks @Uncle Gump! I very much appreciate you taking the time to do that for me. I have the frame mounted filter I believe...? I thought my truck had 2 pumps; one in the tank and another inline but maybe I'm confusing that with the filter...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
20220630_131600.jpg

That's what was on my truck. Yours should have it too. Fuel sender with low pressure pump... fuel reservoir... frame mounted high pressure pump. Most also had an in line fuel filter between the hp fuel pump and the engine... right up by the engine cross member. If it does... use it in the new system. The rest... pitch it in the garbage can. We'll someone may need parts I suppose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals