• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Bronco II... G-Unit

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Probably close enough rusty. We couldn't buy rain all summer.

I also find it strange that the trees here are still green... we have hardly any fall color at this point.
They say a dry summer will lead to a VERY short color period. The leaves fall to the ground in no time.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah i went from mowing once a month to once every 4-5 days lol. Leaves are starting to shed like mad but its still mostly green. Very odd.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Been pulled in a couple different directions the past two days. People just don't show up for work anymore.... and it's ruining my fun!

I did go out there today and was going to knock out some fixes. I popped the hatch to set some tools there and noticed the carpet batting was wet... not damp... WET. So the first thing I did was pull out his old amp/speaker box and pull the carpeting out to let it dry up. Then I started to address the massive amount of audio wiring this thing has. Then I decided to to wait and address that when I actually rewire the stereo. At least the soaked flooring got out. The water has to be working it's way around the liftgate seal. I don't see what else it could be.

wiring.jpg

So I started pulling the skid plate and I got called to go to work for a couple hours and had to stop. I know when I took the fuel cap off... it had pressure in the tank. So I have a new vent valve and I'm going to order a new filler cap. The wife said for sure I can have all day to work on my Bronco.... after I install the new blind in the living room the dog tore up.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I did hear back from Durabak awhile back and meant to post there response. Was cleaning up email and posting it here so I don't loose the info and in case anyone else wants to know.

Hi Tom

Thanks for reaching out and good luck with the project!

So that definitely sounds like a really questionable application!

The first step would be to scuff the entire surface down with 100 grit, while you're scuffing obviously smooth down the bubbles, runs etc. and you should be able to get through to a fairly uniform finish. Don't worry if it's not all the same level of shine etc. as long as the surface is all scored evenly.

Then you would want to scrub the surface with Xylene on a t-shirt like material, this should really help even out any remaining differences between uncured, shiny, dull areas etc. once you're satisfied that the Xylene has done as much as it can, wait or the last xylene wipe down to fully evaporate and then spray or roll on a fresh coat of Durabak.

I would give it 2 coats for sure, and if you're changing color go with 3 coats. The main thing to do to avoid getting a patchy application is to keep the Durabak well mixed at all times and the can closed in between filling your paint tray or gun.

If there's anything else we can help with please feel free to reach out.

Thanks,
Support Team
Durabakcompany.com

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
IIRC, That xylene is nasty stuff... it destroys latex gloves quickly. You’ll want to use a pair of chemical resistant gloves (like for a parts washer).
I used a cheap Schutz gun to spray it... it worked perfect and came out good.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
IIRC, That xylene is nasty stuff... it destroys latex gloves quickly. You’ll want to use a pair of chemical resistant gloves (like for a parts washer).
I used a cheap Schutz gun to spray it... it worked perfect and came out good.
+2 to that. I deal with xylene every day. Latex gloves only last a few minutes. Use it outside, preferably with a light breeze blowing. Do NOT get it in your eyes.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Better add chemical gloves to the ever growing list...

I'm not doing this until I get moved again... and I think I want to spray it. Way outside my comfort zone.

Was the schultz gun a HVLP type or just a regular paint gun? I have a couple Devilbiss (think that is the right name) guns I bought for cheap at a garage sale years ago. Either way I'm going to need to practice before I go off applying anything.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Was the schultz gun a HVLP type or just a regular paint gun? I have a couple Devilbiss (think that is the right name) guns I bought for cheap at a garage sale years ago. Either way I'm going to need to practice before I go off applying anything.
A Schutz gun is a siphon feed with a 1/4” nozzle. It’s not like a regular spray gun. A regular paint gun of any type will just clog instantly with the rubber particles in bed liner.

It was cheap... under $20. I still use the thing a lot, for spraying soap, starting a siphon on a hose, etc.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It was cheap... under $20. I still use the thing a lot, for spraying soap, starting a siphon on a hose, etc.
Looks like the price of those has went up a bit... unless I'm seeing the wrong Schutz spray gun.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Looks like the price of those has went up a bit... unless I'm seeing the wrong Schutz spray gun.
It looks like you can get them for under $30. Look for an undercoating gun.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well... I haven't had an update for far too long. There has been several obstacle's that have hindered progress. Mainly weather... lack of garage space... and the fact there is an employee crisis that calls me out to work and keep stores open and functioning on any given day.

I have managed to spend a few dollars on goodies for the build but there is another issue that has severely limited me from actually performing the physical work. I've had a bump on my forearm for several years. It wasn't painful and being a man... I put my mind above it and just carried on with life. But it got to the point within the last several months it started to grow fairly rapid and if I bumped it... it would bleed. You don't realize how much abuse your forearm takes when wrenching... but honestly trying to remove my Bronco Fuel tank let me know. I actually couldn't even change the spark plugs without banging my forearm to the point I would bleed. I've done a really good job of hiding it from the wife (please don't ever make that mistake). But on Monday I was outside throwing the training dummy for my hound and when I went to go inside I banged my arm on the edge of the storm door and it started to bleed like crazy. Enough to soak my shirt and leave a blood trail to the sink. My wife flipped when I couldn't get it to stop bleeding and off to ER we went. They did a complete blood work up and x-rays of the area and was diagnosed as a squamous cell carcinoma. The ER doctor believed it was removable after consulting the staff but said I would need it to be evaluated by the surgeon and may require radiation treatments to shrink it before removal. I have an appointment with the surgeon today and will have to see what he says. To say I'm scared is probably an understatement. There are still things that will have to be determined including the course of action I need to take. Honestly... I'm terrified.

I'm not putting this out there for sympathy... but more of a call to action. Don't be a dumbass like myself. If it isn't normal... please don't make it a mind over matter thing. If I had done something about it a year ago... pretty simple procedure. Now... it appears more complicated. The doctor was pretty optimistic after looking over my bloodwork. No markers were tripped... my vitals are good and overall I feel pretty healthy. All of this is gonna lead me (and the wife) to some lifestyle changes. Quit smoking at the top of the list and diet changes are a close second. It's probably never to late and I'm not ready to leave... I have no choice but to fight and make some changes.

Please... take care of yourselves.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'm so sorry to hear this! Definitely encouragement to make changes sooner rather than later. Keep us posted and good luck with everything as you get evaluated.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm just seriously looking forward to having this ugly sum bitch gone honestly.

Hopefully with some treatments and healing I can get back to wrenching on this Bronco II and get my pup out chasing rabbits and flushing grouse. It has seriously affected enough of my life.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Jeez dude. Get that taken care of! Understand why you didn't though, I am pretty terrible about seeing the doc for anything as well.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
1- I don't know how I havnt seen this til now.. but.. awesome! Congrats on the score and good luck with the project.

2- im sorry to hear about your health issues, and am sending as many well wishes as possible. I've been living with some stuff that probably isn't normal for quite some time.. I should definitely make an appt. Last time I had an appt. to get these issues looked at they got dismissed and I just had a bunch of bills to pay -__- but if something is wrong something is wrong and thats definitely no Bueno.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals