• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Bronco II... G-Unit

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
So this Bronco II came up for sale in the classifieds... I thought it looked pretty good... had a bunch of work done to it and made a move to learn more.

I've never bought a vehicle without seeing it in person first but the logistics on this one were not in my favor. So after several contacts with the seller and several more pictures my comfort level elevated. He also bought a battery and a high pressure fuel pump and made it run. That sealed the deal really (I was going to buy it not running for a negotiated price). The seller also stated the clutch felt good and both the service and parking brakes worked. The delivery driver could just get in and load it... cost savings on getting it here. Also meant I could at least move it around once it got here... complete win.

I completely understand there is still some work to do to complete the project... but probably isn't much I can't fix. With all the goodies it has and the condition it's in... I feel it's worth the efforts to finish it up and make myself a pretty cool toy. Probably saved myself a pretty fair stack of cash if I were to buy a clean Bronco II and just get it to where this one is. I'm not even made about the bed liner paint job... it's not going to be a show vehicle... I'm gonna just drive it... trail ride it... haul my dirty hunting dog around in it and I won't be worried about scratching the paint while I do all of it.

So a couple more pictures that were shared....

It has a 31 spline 8.8 from an Explorer that he had professionally rebuilt axle bearing to axle bearing with a disc brake conversion. Yukon 4.10 gear (wish he would have done a 4.88) that he says is an open differential. I'm going to check it and I'm hoping for a Traction Lock diff. but it is what it is. It has new park brake cables, brake lines, exhaust, tank cleaned and coated with a new in-tank low pressure fuel pump. Also new Skyjacker 6 inch leaf springs.

BroncoII rear.jpg

The Skyjacker lift and most of everything else has less then 50 miles on it. The bottom side of the body was cleaned, treated, and painted. So was the frame and all new body bushings.

BroncoII front.jpg

The Explorer Dana 35 was rebuilt with Yukon gear set and bearings throughout with a Lock Rite locker. New axle joints, front brakes, warn hubs and Superunner Steering upgrade. He also stated he upgraded the steering intermediate shaft to the u joint version, reman steering pump and reman steering box.

BroncoIIsteer.jpg

The 2.9L was rebuilt about 40k ago. New 2 row radiator, entire new A/C system and underhood just doesn't look torn up like most 35 year old vehicles.

Bronco engine.jpg

The interior is pretty much all new too... headliner to the carpet. All seats were reupholstered and every piece of interior plastic was removed and sent out to be dyed gray. Even has a crack free dash cover. The seller is sending the original blue door panels in the truck... I am just going to buy a new set of black panels.

BroncoII5.jpg

Bronco int front.jpg

Broncodash.jpg

The bed liner paint job... like I said... not even mad about it. Wheels and tires were bought in 06 and never been driven on. The tires will be questionable at best... but there is no dry rot that can been seen. I will probably putt around town here a bit but I see new tires in my future.

BroncoII.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I wanted to describe how we handled the transaction being 1200 miles apart. Just incase someone else is interested in doing a similar deal.

We agreed to use a company called escrow.com. They're a third party host that secures the buyers payment for the item. The seller agrees and releases the vehicle. The buyer has 24 hrs (or an agreed to timeframe) to accept or decline the item. Once the buyer accepts... they send the money to the seller. The cost was based on purchase price and was just over $100. They also have title service.

The next thing to do was to secure a transportation company. I used Montway. It was $900 to have it shipped from door to door. When I agreed to the price... they had me send pictures and asked simple questions... like is it drivable... will it contain personal items... is the vehicle modified... etc. I answered honestly about a lift and tires. The fee jumped $200. I needed to make it happen and agreed to get this truck here. I thought they had their own truck... but they sub contract. I probably could have done a little better had I shopped around.

But they did an inspection before loading and documented any damage... broken glass... etc... and took pictures and emailed them to me. This was part of a Bill of Lading. Never heard of it but it keeps the shipper safe and the seller/buyer from any damage that occurred during transport.

A couple of those pictures...

G-Unit front.jpg

G-Unit rear.jpg

G-Unit pass.jpg

And something I didn't see in the other pictures was the door misaligned. He had replaced the hinges or pins and bushings. Hopefully I can do a little adjustment.

G-Unit driver.jpg

The driver fired it up and loaded it right up.

image12.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image7.jpeg

It also looks like the lift and tires actually made the loading process a bit easier... not sure why they charge more money for it.

image1.jpeg

Loaded and ready to roll... come to papa!

image0.jpeg

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Reserved

Updates to come... delivery is expected 9/29/2021

Edit 1: It's here... and just faded to dark.

First Impression... I might be just a little mad about the bed liner paint job. I didn't go on very well.

Edit 2: Well I've had a couple of days for it to soak in. It was a ride I'm just not use to... it was exciting and had very anxious moments and some pretty high expectations. I allowed myself this vision of something and it built in my head. That vision was actually a quick sprint to the finish. The reality of it fell short of a sprint and it's somewhere well past that. The pictures I ooogled over for better then two weeks didn't reflect the really bad bed liner paint job. Parts of the truck still feel sticky like it never cured or something. I'm also going to say that the fenders, hood and doors had been taken off and didn't get adjusted properly when put back together. All of it is a bit wonky. To top it off when it got unloaded I could smell gas... not just gas... but really old gas. Whatever he drained... he should have drained more. I think the smell is coming from the emissions and a fuel leak at the top of the tank. So I couldn't help but think I got myself into a bit more then I was expecting. But I jumped in it and run it up and down or driveway and all the gears were there... the brakes felt pretty good... parking brake held firm. I went through all the driver controls and everything worked except the dome light. The fuel gauge didn't seem to work but I have no idea how much fuel is in it and a couple dash lights might be out. He had told me I would have to hook the speakers up in the dash... but the tuner lit up and would scan stations. It got dark... I closed it up... went inside and stewed over what I had just done. After about a half hour my wife even said if it isn't good just put it up for sale and get your money back. She could see it in my face... but I needed to get a better look and I didn't want that as an option anyway. My biggest take away from all of this is that I will not ever buy another vehicle without myself or sending another unbiased individual to have a look at it first. I'm not saying the owner ripped me off in any way... but I learned a lesson.

So after it's been in the driveway a few days... and every time I have a minute to touch it I do. I'm a bit more at ease. I do think this truck is pretty rust free. The doors, fenders and hood appear to be the originals and the doors are really clean. The electrical isn't all hacked up... pretty much all of it works. The power locks work good... the power windows operate but struggle to get open and closed a bit. The 2.9L fires right up... it ticks a bit cold but it quiets itself up considerably as it warms up. Probably better then I hope for. It doesn't miss a beat.. it idles steady but something isn't right. It starts at 1000 rpms... as it warms up it increases to about 1200 rpms and holds there. I'm going to have to clean the fuel system out, install a new filter and do a bit of poking around under the hood after and see what's up. I've run it to full operating temp three times with no over heating... and the oil and anti freeze look really good... so I'm guessing it will be a runner for a bit anyway. Then I see all the new (untested) stuff underneath... and know I'm going to have to get it up on stands and spend a couple days under it and check everything twice and make any necessary repairs. But I'm ok with that. I did speak to a mechanic in the town I moved from... he has done a couple things for me in the past... he said to get it out there and he would get it on his alignment rack and get it dialed in.

At the end of the day... I think it's a heck of a start. I didn't buy it for any other reason then to be an on going tinker toy project. Drive it from Spring until the snow starts in the Fall... tinker all Winter... repeat. I'm bummed about the smear of a bed liner job... probably more so because it's out of my wheel house... not even sure how I'm suppose to attack it. But I know it's to nice of a truck not to do something more respectable to it. I'm gonna keep it... love it... probably throw thousands more $$$$ at it over the next few years... and enjoy pretty much every minute of it.

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Nice score; that truck already has a lot of goodies. Congratulations!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Nice score; that truck already has a lot of goodies. Congratulations!
I was really glad to see it had a nice steering column shroud...

Thank you!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Nice pizza-hunting truck.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Love it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I should also mention that @Shran picked the name... yes... I stole it from him.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Looking forward to your updates. I REALLY like that truck.

The driveline, suspension, cooling, AC and interior being done as well as they are, does put you way ahead in the game. Maybe you'll like the bedliner finish; or maybe there's a future repaint- the body looks sound. Just looking at the pics, you can see that the previous owner had a lot of pride in the truck, and in the workmanship, too. That matters a lot.

I know that you've had a B2 itch, and I think that you picked a winner. Well done!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yes I did... or a nice first gen Ranger. This one scratches both of those itches.

I really wanted a 6th gen Bronco... but to get this one the wife made me promise to give up that dream. The one I wanted was 35K... this one will do for 7 times less money.

He did put a bunch into this one... the least favorite part of it is the interior. It isn't going to work for what I want... it's to nice. So after I get it going down the road the first order of business is to delete the rear seat and pull the carpet and the front seats too. I have a wish list already in progress on the Bronco Graveyard site. It will probably get a pair of these...

Corbeau Moab.jpg

one of these security consoles....

console.jpg

Front to rear vinyl flooring and a fresh set of black door panels. I'm going to a far more utilitarian place. It will fit what I plan to do with it much better. I will however have to let the checkbook cool off a bit first.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Congrats again good luck w/ delivery today Gump

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
So awesome.

Door alignment is easy - remove the fender, loosen up the hinges, get the door positioned "close" and snug everything up... then adjust as necessary and put the fender back on. I like to start by getting the striker bolt set perfectly and then work on alignment around the edges after that.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Yes I did... or a nice first gen Ranger. This one scratches both of those itches.

I really wanted a 6th gen Bronco... but to get this one the wife made me promise to give up that dream. The one I wanted was 35K... this one will do for 7 times less money.

He did put a bunch into this one... the least favorite part of it is the interior. It isn't going to work for what I want... it's to nice. So after I get it going down the road the first order of business is to delete the rear seat and pull the carpet and the front seats too. I have a wish list already in progress on the Bronco Graveyard site. It will probably get a pair of these...

View attachment 66388

one of these security consoles....

View attachment 66389

Front to rear vinyl flooring and a fresh set of black door panels. I'm going to a far more utilitarian place. It will fit what I plan to do with it much better. I will however have to let the checkbook cool off a bit first.
Those seats and that console are in my sights too.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I never realized how much better those types of seats are until I got in them. With that and the harness it's easy to fall asleep

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never realized how much better those types of seats are until I got in them. With that and the harness it's easy to fall asleep
That is exactly what we don't need @Uncle Gump to be doing on trail rides...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals