• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 bronco 2 rad support question

Smokie77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 85-88 radiator support and the 89-92 radiator support. Is it just how the rad mounts?

What I have is a 86 bronco 2 Eddie bower 4x4 that I will be placing a 5.0L in next summer. Engine trans and transfer case is out of an 88 F150 4x4 My rad support is rusted beyond repair I will also be modifying the rad support to move the rad into the grill for clearance. Or building a custom rad to fit we’re I want it. All the rad supports for the 85-88 are back ordered that I have found online. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
There is a different radiator support for the 2.8 v6 engine. I bought a 1984 BII with the 2.8. and had a good 1986 ranger with the 2.9 for parts. The 86 had a brand new radiator in it, the 1984 radiator was old and leaky, and they wanted almost $400 for a new radiator for the 84. I can buy the 86 radiator for $150. I am assuming the 1985 is the same as the 84, since they still were using the 2.8 v6.

The proper thing to do was to swap the radiator support, but that would be a lot of work. What I did was slice the lower bracket on the 84, and bent it over and punched a large hole in it to accept the large rubber mounts used on the 86. The top mounts on the 84 worked on the 86 radiator. That was quick and simple, even the 1984 fan shroud worked.

But the lower radiator hose was a problem. The 84 would not fit and the 86 would not fit either. What I ended up doing was taking both and cutting them and putting a short piece of exhaust pipe with clamps to splice them together. Been running for about 2 years now with no problems. Swapping the core support would not have cured the lower radiator hose problem. That 86 radiator is made for a 2.9 which is oriented differently down there on the pump intake.

Smokie77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
There is a different radiator support for the 2.8 v6 engine. I bought a 1984 BII with the 2.8. and had a good 1986 ranger with the 2.9 for parts. The 86 had a brand new radiator in it, the 1984 radiator was old and leaky, and they wanted almost $400 for a new radiator for the 84. I can buy the 86 radiator for $150. I am assuming the 1985 is the same as the 84, since they still were using the 2.8 v6.

The proper thing to do was to swap the radiator support, but that would be a lot of work. What I did was slice the lower bracket on the 84, and bent it over and punched a large hole in it to accept the large rubber mounts used on the 86. The top mounts on the 84 worked on the 86 radiator. That was quick and simple, even the 1984 fan shroud worked.

But the lower radiator hose was a problem. The 84 would not fit and the 86 would not fit either. What I ended up doing was taking both and cutting them and putting a short piece of exhaust pipe with clamps to splice them together. Been running for about 2 years now with no problems. Swapping the core support would not have cured the lower radiator hose problem. That 86 radiator is made for a 2.9 which is oriented differently down there on the pump intake.
Ok so the 84 rad support will work with the 86 lights and grill it’s just the rad that’s different right? That would make things easier cause I found a new 84 rad support in stock. I can fab somthing to fit the rad. Like I said earlier I plan to move it forward anyways.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The frontend otherwise looks the same, besides the radiator mount. The newer cheaper radiator is a aluminum and plastic side tank unit. The older expensive radiator is a all brass/copper with a top and bottom tank. I have never done a v8 swap, but would think you are going to need to shoe horn in a larger radiator of some type anyway correct?

Smokie77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
The frontend otherwise looks the same, besides the radiator mount. The newer cheaper radiator is a aluminum and plastic side tank unit. The older expensive radiator is a all brass/copper with a top and bottom tank. I have never done a v8 swap, but would think you are going to need to shoe horn in a larger radiator of some type anyway correct?
That’s correct. My plan was to find a 4 core rad and modify the support to fit. Or find a core and build my own tanks to suit my application

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1989 F-150 Supercab and a 1985 B2, have you measured the OAL of the F-150 drive train to see if you will have enough space left for a driveshaft with the power train from the F-150 installed into your B2?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals