• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86' Bronco 2 2.9l Sputtering Issue

Tommybomb2021

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, I bought this bronco this past summer for a steal of 500$ because it needed a clutch. Just got around to putting the new clutch/flywheel in, and have it running but now I have ran into an issue with the engine sputtering. This issue occurs when the engine is below roughly half throttle, but fades as the engine approaches anything above 1/2-3/4 throttle. I just did the spark plugs and am planning on doing the distributor cap and plug wires. I also plan on checking fuel pressure and putting in a new fuel filter. My worry is that this will end up being sensor related which I am clueless about on these 2.9l engines. Where else should I be looking aside from fuel, spark and air as far as sensors? Anything common that would cause this issue? I will also note that I am a bit of a noob/youtube mechanic but I am enjoying learning along the way. Thanks

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Hello all, I bought this bronco this past summer for a steal of 500$ because it needed a clutch. Just got around to putting the new clutch/flywheel in, and have it running but now I have ran into an issue with the engine sputtering. This issue occurs when the engine is below roughly half throttle, but fades as the engine approaches anything above 1/2-3/4 throttle. I just did the spark plugs and am planning on doing the distributor cap and plug wires. I also plan on checking fuel pressure and putting in a new fuel filter. My worry is that this will end up being sensor related which I am clueless about on these 2.9l engines. Where else should I be looking aside from fuel, spark and air as far as sensors? Anything common that would cause this issue? I will also note that I am a bit of a noob/youtube mechanic but I am enjoying learning along the way. Thanks
Mine does something similar. Never have been able to totally figure it out.

Pull the codes on it and see what you come up with there. Testing the fuel pressure is also a good place to start.

86 is also EGR equipped....those can cause some goofy issues if they arnt functioning correctly as well

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
How long sitting before you got it running. Fuel does not have a long shelf life. Especially the crap fuel they provide now days. Even clean fuel on top of junk fuel will need run out before you can judge it acceptable.

Tommybomb2021

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Not sure how long it sat, previous owner did not specify. But I have ran all the old gas out of it already and filled up with new stuff.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
These older Rangers don't react well to sitting for extended periods of time with ethanol gasoline in the fuel system. It can clog up your injectors.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Tommy,

What your describing is not normal or characteristic of a sound running 2.9L.

1-It's free to take a look at your coolant level, determine whether you are losing any.
2-Check all the vacuum lines, fittings and connections.
3-look for any fuel or coolant puddling around the injectors and in the lower intake manifold valleys or from the top of the engine.
4-after a warm up or drive are any fluids accumulating under the engine bay?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
After rereading your post...pull the SPOUT connecter and verify that the timing is set between 10 and 12 BTDC

Tommybomb2021

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
For all who were curious what the problem was, after changing both fuel pumps, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and replacing every sensor it was the TFI Module. Hopefully this saves someone the same headache I went through ha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals