• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 B2 Swapeverydamthing!

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s70Jnp1CTis&t=100s

After a couple days of cutting and torching I got all the rear suspension out of the truck and the Skyjacker Softride leafs with Belltech shackles are in. I cut off the shock mounts and perches off the 9" and right now its hanging up letting the fresh chassis black paint dry.

I also made a discovery. I mentioned above that when I installed the drivers side coil bucket and track bar mount I needed to add a spacer and longer bolts because it looked like Duff hadnt thought about these parts being used together. Well when I was digging through my pile of parts from Ballistic I found one small random bag and when I opened it I found some parts obviously from my Duff pile.

So I want to stand corrected

I also dug out the mustang seats and a center console I have been sitting on for a while that was made for a different project that didnt work out. Looks like it should work nicely in this truck.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
titties and beer. :icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drbN3TWoJD4

I now have all the original fuel system out. Tank sprung like 4 leaks as I was pulling the skid plate and straps. What a mess. 20 gallons of 12 year old fuel and now my shop smells like a meth lab.
Ripped all the lines off too since Ill be replacing them and it makes it easier when I start welding in the new floor pan and rock sliders.

I bought a 90 gas tank and single in tank pump sending unit set up for it. The skid, tank and straps all got cleaned and painted today so they will be ready to go in as soon as I finish the floor pan.

Hope to have floors done this weekend and start installing new fuel system and plump the brakes

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any fuel starvation issues on the b2 tanks and fuel hangers? I’m still undecided on what to run for a tank.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
My last 90 B2 would run tipped over on its side......more than once....or 3 times.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
yeah...with a 1/4 tank mine always ran fine on its side....to the point of oil starvation damage potential.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Slow progress but I have the driver side floor patched up now. Drilled out the spot welds in the braces on the bottom side of the floor pan and removed all of the pinch weld from the tunnel to the A pillar. The new pan didn't cover all my bad spots so I had to hand make a few pieces to get it all.

Just waiting on my order from Eastwood with the seam sealer now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zd1eO1YinU

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good.

Maybe I’ll just throw a b2 tank on the back. I think they’re pretty cheap and they hold a lot. Anyone have a spare fuel pump hanger? Is the sending unit in the hanger?

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yeah 23 gallons is nice. The senders are part of the hangers on all years. But, 84-85 was carbed so the the hanger is just a pick up tube,86-88 used a low pressure in tank pump on the hanger with a high pressure on frame and 89-90 used a single in tank high pressure pump that's in one of those plastic canisters. For your turbo setup Id think the 86-88 duel pump setup might be best so you can stick a good Walbro 255 on the chassis.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I had to do the front floors and the whole mount stanchion on the drivers side after running them to collapse pulling an excursion off the lake a few years back...I just used scrap metal because my shit was totally destroyed :icon_rofl: ....

the rear sections are rotted out now, close to mount failure....so when your done there get up here...you are way better at bodywork then I will ever be. :icon_welder:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
I'm no structural engineer but it sure looked like the inner rockers and the leg for the body mount were galvanized because they were completely clean and spotless yet everything spot welded to them was rotted.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm no structural engineer but it sure looked like the inner rockers and the leg for the body mount were galvanized because they were completely clean and spotless yet everything spot welded to them was rotted.
IIRC my '85 Ranger brochure has a color cutaway that shows how many different kinds of metal they used for the body.

EDIT:

I need to get brave and tackle mine someday. Both cab corners (but more than just the shells they sell), the front corner behind and below the parking brake and the DS floor pan. Where the cab is pinched together below the bottom of the windshield covered by the pop on trim the sealer dried out and I had an unknown leak that ran down the inside of the A-pillar... it took me over a year to track down after I noticed bad things were happening to my floor.

Cab corners must have felt left out and decided to rust on their own.

Last edited:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Amazing how bad the damage can get once that sealer goes bad....especially up at the drip rails. I dug out all the old sealer in my drip rails before we painted it and resealed them to stop the water from getting into the A and B pillars.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
your right my rockers and support lat beam were obviously treated with some sort of galvanic protection.......but mine were still rotted:icon_surprised:.....

best thing for the house restore for floors and b pillars for me, is to paint everything with weld thru primer. I don't do that for my truck because I just use scrap metal to hack the piece of shit back together ..:icon_twisted:......(no seriously)...and I let it leak and a lot of the time in summer it don't have doors on it anyway...and the floors are always wet.... but I have done it with other projects and used etching with rustoleum 2 part paint afterwards and no sealers unless absolutely needed..i don't use undercoating in our environment. it destroys the frames.

like the drip rail I can see using a sealer...but better off full welding everything seam wise. but I am no tig guy...

with rigs like these we can really be brutal...as function is primary.

your rig is in good shape really...

this is what my floor looked like after it crushed down...I did have the front wheels off the ice/lake/ground though:D it went from...man that floor is getting ugly to the cab falling down noticably pretty quick...I thought I had more pics...but this was quite a while ago...different puter...and I am not to good at taking pics...so I really appreciate your efforts to take the time to do this sort of thread...its definitely a bit of extra work to record these things.

I cleaned rear part of my cab out the rest of the way today and looked close at it... its bad. :shok:

I am leaving for work soon so I wont be fixing it till summer...its worse then I thought. but I would drive it to florida right now....just have to throw some felt and matting in there to keep the breeze down:icon_rofl: but I cant do any serious wheeling in it...I think Wellsville knocked all the rust free back there last summer...

I just file this sort of stuff under periodic maintenance:D

Attachments

Last edited:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Wow........That's horrible. Its to bad nobody makes a full size floor pan for these trucks because I bet there is a small market for them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals