• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'86 2.9L fuel filter canister bypass

Trevorrudai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good evening so I've struggled with this black, twist apart fuel filter for long enough. I'm wanting to run a filter like today's modern, shiny, one-line in, one-line out filter and just straight line the return right back to the tank. Is that going to cause any issues? And if ii can what fuel filter am I going to need? Any help is a lot of help cause this twist apart filter without a doubt has to go! Thanks in advance!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ford calls it a "fuel reservoir". I think there is a reason behind that. On the older 1st gen fuel injected trucks, they have absolutely no baffling in the fuel tanks. If you got rid of the fuel filter can on the frame I think you would start having fuel starvation problems with the fuel level got low in the tank.

The do make aftermarket devices to combat this. Holley makes this hydramat https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

I believe on most of the later models they have what they call a "fuel cartridge". Bascially a plastic pipe surrounding the fuel pump and the return drains inside it also. Just something to keep fuel around the pump suction when it's trying to slosh around from one end of the tank to the other.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does the fuel reservior typically have a filter in it? I thought there was in there on my '88 so I bought one (orielly showed one that looks like it fits) but when I took it apart there was no filter.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Some people find a filter in there (my 86 ranger had a filter in it) and some people do not find a filter in it. Not sure the rhyme or reason is for that. I do know they are a real pain to deal with. The only way I got mine apart was to take all the lines off, unbolt it from the frame, and put it in a vise and use a strap wrench to get it unscrewed to change the filter.

If you have a filter somewhere else in the system, I don't see the need for another filter in the reservoir.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals