• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Ranger Spitting & Sputtering

Southernfarmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
how is the truck now?? were you able to fix the issue?? my 85 4x4 5spd is having the same issue. spitting and sputtering when I try to accelerate nicely but if I hot rod it she's fine. btw I'm getting 9 mpg.

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
tfi ignition module

is it possible to relocate the ignition module away from the distributor??

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
98single... check your MAP sensor. If they go, you'll get a crappy idle and the mpg can fall through the floor. Other than that, check fuel pressure as the regulator may be stuck on high pressure, beyond the limits of the computer to cut back.
The pickup in the distribulator can go gooey where the TFI plugs in from the bottom. If you replace a TFI make sure the contacts in the bottom of the distributor do not 'move out of the way'.
tom

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
where is the map sensor?? i have a cold air idle solenoid attached to the air filter housing. tps .... where it should be LOL.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Map sensor would be on the firewall, with a vacuum line to the intake manifold connected so it can sense engine vacuum, and thus imput 'load'. Low vacuum == high load, high vacuum == at idle or loafing, thus needing less fuel. A rectangle a little larger than a pack of cigarettes. It varies a Hz signal depending on vacuum.
I would check your fuel pressure regulator as when they go bad, and peak the fuel pressure, you'll get about 1/2 normal mpg. The pressure should rise when the vacuum line is pulled, and fuel should not come out the vacuum port.
The other thing that makes them weaker than normal until you get the rpms up is ignition timing being re - tarded. {some web sites bar the word whole.} Check with the plug removed that timing is at 10BTDC at hot idle.
tom

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
do you have pictures of the sensor and pressure regulator?? the sensor is close to the intake i take it. where do I find the regulator??

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
nevermind. I looked them up on napa's website. My map sensor wasn't mounted to the fender (behind air filter) like it's supposed to be. Isn't it nice that ford put the screws for the pressure regulator under the sensor?? thank you so much.
I replaced cap rotor and ignition module, ran good for a couple days then started bucking again.

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
ok. Here is what I've replaced so far. Spark plugs, cap, rotor, ignition module, map sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter.
my truck has been spitting and sputtering since I got it. it runs fine and good and then all of the sudden it'll start to buck, but only at the lower rpm's. If I floor it it'll power through. the fuel pumps were changed out by the previous owner.
it's a 2.3l efi. today I will clean my egr valve. (dam they are expensive)

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
ok i cleaned the egr valve. it was very caked with carbon and stuck closed.
Just on the off chance I unplugged the cold air idle valve thing ( I think that's what it is.) It's mounted to my air filter box with a small tube going to my throttle body. My truck has almost quit sputtering,
Question.... I have 2 sensors on my intake which one is for air temp?? my cold air valve works I just think it's getting the wrong signals.
1 of the sensors is one the upper part front side the other is on the back side of the lower part.
The truck sputters a lot less now, but still does.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
When is it actually sputtering now? Does the idle fluctuate at all at any time (tach bounce or engine revs up and dies down sporadically)?

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
since i unplugged the cold air idle valve the idle doesn't fluctuate. it sputters after it's warmed up.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
One test that is pretty easy is to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the injector rail. Turn on the engine and collect a jar of fuel using the gauge bleed. Set the fuel to rest for a few minutes, and then inspect for water droplets.
There is a fuel filter on the frame rail behind a metal protector that looks like a small oil filter. I think it can trap water, and let some come through irregularly, causing the engine to misfire. I tried to change mine, but my strap wrench would not grab tight enough to loosen the filter. Inside is a pleated filter that is replaceable. From what I read. I don't see how it can avoid trapping water if there is any being pumped from the gas tank. As the water level rises, it will allow the water at the bottom to get sent to the injectors. I too have an intermittent miss, and it started after getting gas at one particular station. Seems to come and go.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals