• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 Ranger Restomod

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I probably put 30 miles on it today or better, went over to the lake to take pictures and lake was drained down (didn't figure they would do that this early in the summer) so that didn't work out very well.

The poles usually go between pontoon boats.

Otherwise the truck is driving great, it needs aligned badly as it is spooky on gravel though. Like the back wants to pass the front, I must not have the toe right yet. Cruise is getting better (BW1350 VSS retaining bolt is longer than NP205 so it bottoms out and lets the sensor can around) but it is still not 100%, it doesn't surge as hard it was but it would still get really freaking annoying going cross country. Otherwise it starts good, runs good, shifts good and goes down the highway good.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bedliner and rollbar are out:

Washed 10 years of gravel dust and mouse nest out:

Topper is on! For being off a '93 the fit is pretty good, kind of gives it a weird Broncoish kind of look.

I started playing with loading, one approximentally 31" tire (265/75-16). I want two spares for this trip but it is a good for a stand in:

Two totes fit behind the tire(s) with ease. I have three total, one for truck stuff and two for camping stuff. Tools are in a toolbox.

And I can't back my truck in the garage anymore, I have to drive it in. Topper is really tall (taller than me) and I don't think it would clear once it got past the garage door.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You might be able to get a tire mount from a 70s truck that mounts the tire to the inside bed side ahead of the axle. I have one that I plan on doing that to my truck eventually. Find 2 and mount both tires standing up for more room. Or fab your own.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might be able to get a tire mount from a 70s truck that mounts the tire to the inside bed side ahead of the axle. I have one that I plan on doing that to my truck eventually. Find 2 and mount both tires standing up for more room. Or fab your own.
I thought about that, two would really put a damper on rearward visibility though.

I was hoping the inner wall of the bed didn't stick into the cargo area as much down below, the bulge at the bottom is about even with the bed rail. I am still early in the "how am i going to pack my wagon" phase, we will see how things shake out. I should do pretty good on room though, just one more of those totes and a 24" toolbox plus luggage (clothing/toiletries etc)

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Bedliner and rollbar are out:

Washed 10 years of gravel dust and mouse nest out:

Topper is on! For being off a '93 the fit is pretty good, kind of gives it a weird Broncoish kind of look.

I started playing with loading, one approximentally 31" tire (265/75-16). I want two spares for this trip but it is a good for a stand in:

Two totes fit behind the tire(s) with ease. I have three total, one for truck stuff and two for camping stuff. Tools are in a toolbox.

And I can't back my truck in the garage anymore, I have to drive it in. Topper is really tall (taller than me) and I don't think it would clear once it got past the grarage door.

...pappy cap.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
...pappy cap.
Is there a different kind?

I had my younger brother come over to help unload it two days before my birthday. His first words were "so I guess you are that old now"

I do wish it didn't kick up at the back. It would look better and fit in my garage better if it didn't and it would probably help the mileage too. Oh well, for $40 it should do what I need done.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought about that, two would really put a damper on rearward visibility though.

I was hoping the inner wall of the bed didn't stick into the cargo area as much down below, the bulge at the bottom is about even with the bed rail. I am still early in the "how am i going to pack my wagon" phase, we will see how things shake out. I should do pretty good on room though, just one more of those totes and a 24" toolbox plus luggage (clothing/toiletries etc)
With the cap in place how much rearward visibility do you actually lose?
Tho the cap does have pretty big side windows.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the cap in place how much rearward visibility do you actually lose?
Tho the cap does have pretty big side windows.
Not a lot was lost but two standing tires would almost block out half my back cab window.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The kick up at the back of that topper is a blessing when you're getting in and out of the bed. Trust me. The topper I picked up for my truck is flat across the top, and you ALWAYS hit your head on the damn thing. While it does look better being flat and level across the top, I wish it kicked up at the rear. That's pretty much the whole reason I don't use it on my truck anymore.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another great thing for accessing stuff under a cap is a rolling bed. They are normally about $1000 and up, but I've bought them for as low as $75 at yard sales. I currently have 2, one in my 1/2 ton, and one in my ranger. Look for the lowest profile, usually a steel frame. Depending on type, you lose from 4" to 6" of bed depth.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is just weird now walking up to the back, it is like i have a sprinter van or something.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the LH tail light out and ran wiring down behind it, across the bed to the trailer connector. I looped it around the clamp so it wouldn't get shut in the tailgate which is what happened to it before. I just stuck a two pin connector in the four pin connector so it caught the tail light and ground. I just have to have the parking lights on and I have a dome light inside the topper, which also has it's own switch. If it was more permanent of a situation I would have ran dedicated wiring back to it but this way it is easy to delete when the topper goes away. And when the topper goes on my pickup box trailer I just have to get a t-connector for it and it will be plug and play there too.

Also kind of bummed, my tent is too big to fit in a tote like I had planned...

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I have always wanted it to have a "home" when in the truck. Otherwise on top the wheel well is a natural home for it since it is kind of dead space... but it never wants to sit there on its own. So it slides down the inner wheelhouse and gets stuck between that and whatever is in the bed. It is just an irritation to have something that big and floppy running loose in the back of a truck. I know it is "upside down" but it isn't a status symbol thing, the jack will still live in my garage 98% of the time. It would not fit with the jaw up per the directions because the offset foot hits the top of the bed. It isn't a real "Hi-Lift", maybe a real one would fit. My grandpa got it from his dad when he passed away in the late 70's... so it has been around.

EDIT:

Not looking good for the truck to make it to Ohio afterall. It is running and driving great, so far I have confidence in it so it is no fault of its own which is what really burns.

My wife wants to come with, she has never been out there before. Initial plan was for her parents to tag along and then they go see an aunt they have out there while I do Ranger stuff and then we all convoy home. Wife got pregnant, ok... rather than ride in my non air conditioned truck with a bench seat she can just ride with her parents. Then her great-aunt passed away and her parents got soft on going. Couldn't get a straight answer until this weekend. They are out. Plan B was little bro... he can't get off work because another guy is going to be gone. Plan C is my parents but I am not getting a straight answer out of them.

If Plan C fails I am down to taking the Edge. I don't think it would be a fun trip being with a 7mo pregnant lady in my truck for 13 hours...

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I drove my truck around for a while with a topper on it and had a few guys tell me how cool my old Ford Bronco was. Mine was white so it matches the truck. Having a topper is really nice for camping, but I want to run a roll bar in the back.

Truck is looking good man!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I drove my truck around for a while with a topper on it and had a few guys tell me how cool my old Ford Bronco was. Mine was white so it matches the truck. Having a topper is really nice for camping, but I want to run a roll bar in the back.

Truck is looking good man!
I decided it was the shape of the front windows that gave it the Bronco look. A standard cab shortbox with a bodycolor or white topper with windows like that would be a dead ringer for a Bronco.

Thanks!

The latch stuff is supposed to show up today which is handy since it is unlikely to be needed now.

EDIT: FIL commited to tagging along with his truck. So if wifey gets tired of 1980's bear necessities she has King Ranch comfort to fall back on. :cool:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals