• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Ranger Exhaust Part Identification

andyh13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello,

I have inherited an '85 Ranger with a 2.8 V6. It has been modified to replace the original feedback carb with a 2150 (it looks like this one is for an automatic transmission, but the truck is a manual).

The ignition has also been switched over to HEI.

I am not very mechanically inclined. Sorry if the answer to the following question is obvious:

What is this part that seems to be unhooked? It looks like it goes into the cat.

And what is this big open pipe?

Am I correct that it's coming out of the exhaust manifold? But why would it go up and not down? Is it EGR related? I think the old owner stripped out a lot of emissions stuff when he switched it over to the 2150. Should it be covered with some sort of plate?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The piece on the manifold looks like it is for the air heater, which is just used to help get to temp and out of choke mode faster. Nothing needs to be done with it.

The piece on the passenger side is part of the secondary air injection system and should go to the cat. There should be an air pump and some other pieces scattered around, which may be gone.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The piece on the passenger side is part of the secondary air injection system and should go to the cat. There should be an air pump and some other pieces scattered around, which may be gone.
I though that was the fitting where you connect a hose to suck start the engine when the battery is dead.

andyh13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The piece on the manifold looks like it is for the air heater, which is just used to help get to temp and out of choke mode faster. Nothing needs to be done with it.

Is there anything I need to do to that piece of the secondary air injection system to make the engine run properly? Or will it only affect the operation of the cat?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Is there anything I need to do to that piece of the secondary air injection system to make the engine run properly? Or will it only affect the operation of the cat?
Should really only effect cat efficiency, but you will probably have a massive exhaust leak.

andyh13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I haven't done much with the truck recently, but I was having a conversation the other day with a person who has worked on cars much longer than I have, and this person claimed that lack of backpressure could cause a carb to run lean.

I had not previously considered this. Do you think there's any merit to it?

The truck idles pretty rough, but that saga is chronicled over at: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/85-2-8-idling-too-high.182625/

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No internal combustion engine ever has benefitted even a tiny bit from backpressure. Physics doesn't work that way.

What does happen is that with a properly tuned exhaust system the exhaust pulse from one cylinder creates a vacuum behind it that helps pull the next pulse along, which is an effect called "scavenging". It helps the exhaust flow easily, but can be lost by having the wrong sized pipes. Too small and it creates a restriction, so the scavenging effect isn't enough. Too big and you don't have the exhaust volume to fill the pipe and scavenge it, so you loose the effect altogether, now the engine has to work to push the exhaust gas down the pipes.

You get some backyard mechanic who puts a huge "free-flowing" exhaust on their car, loose power, and then they think "Oh, it must have needed that "back pressure" to run right" and that's where the myth comes from.

If your exhaust is leaking that needs fixed, but it shouldn't cause it to run lean.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals