• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 ranger 4x4 2.3t swap

Jeepsandrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Very new to this but my grandpa had an 85 ranger just sitting and told me if I could get it running I could have it. Needless to say it is a fully functional vehicle now. But it is creeping up on 150k miles, so I find myself planning for the future.

Moving on, I had a quick question I was hoping someone could help shed some light down upon. My ranger is a 4x4 Manual and has the stock 2.3l 4 cylinder engine in it, as I have seen many people have done swaps for the 2.3 turbo getting it out of a mustang or various others from the 80's. Now for my question, what all would need to be changed when changing from a regular 2.3 to a 2.3t? I have been trying to find someone on this forum with a similar situation but was unable to find it. Please someone point me in the right direction :icon_hornsup:

Last edited:

Cody L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
'85 was the changeover year from carb to efi. Which one is yours?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Jeepsandrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry should've mentioned that in the post, it is an EFI

Cody L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
If your going to a stock turbocoupe setup, the engine is a bolt in. The IAC move to the throttle body on the turbocoupe. Also would need to add wires for the vane air meter at the ecu. Change the ecu to one from a 2.3t just be sure to match the injectors and VAM to ecu you're using.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That and a handful of other wires move around a little, but mostly a bolt in other than the exhaust being different... Use the Ranger harness and add the wires for the VAM and boost controller, intake temp sensor, knock sensor and that should be it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals