• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Ranger 302 swap

taco

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I need help with finishing up my 302 swap. It started as someone else's project, and my father got it for me as my first car. I thought I figured most of it out but now I need some help finishing it. I have a 92 302 H.O from a T-bird that is swapped to carb. The engine wiring is very pieced together with just random bits and pieces, but that is being sorted through slowly. I am having trouble with three things as of now, and the most important is the fuel delivery problem. It has a holley 780 CFM carb and a holley regulator set to 4 psi and it was running fine with that, but now the gauge is fluttering rapidly and fluctuating between 2 and 15 psi before settling at 0 and the engine dies from no fuel. I thought it could maybe be the diaphragm in the regulator, but I'm stumped with it. I have new fuel pumps set up as how the stock fuel delivery system was set. Once this is figured out I will move onto the other problems which is a stumble while revving the engine, and figuring out a one-wire alternator that will work with my setup. the first distributor was all electric and didn't advance ( it was the stock T-bird distributor) I now have a retro-fitted GM distributor with vacuum and mechanical advance. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated
Thank you, mac

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1985 Ranger should have 7-9psi fuel pump in the tank, and if original engine was fuel injected then high pressure pump on frame rail under drivers seat.
Remove the high pressure pump, it isn't used with carb setup.

What fuel pressure regulator are you using?

1 wire alternator just hooks to battery via a fuse, mega fuse, usually on a power distribution post on the fender, i.e. starter relay.

1 wire alternator shuts off below a certain RPM, and then starts up again above a certain RPM.
very simple setup, but not good if you decide to use under drive pulley on crank, you would need to change pulley on alternator as well

Yes HEI system is best for spark in your setup, also very simple to wire and setup.
Vacuum advance on distributors use regular vacuum or Ported vacuum.
regular vacuum is below throttle plate on carb, Ported is above throttle plate

regular vacuum is high when throttle plate is closed, ported vacuum is low
ported vacuum is high when throttle is open, regular vacuum is low

Most use regular vacuum, but not all, lol.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There won't be a high pressure pump. 86 was the first year for EFI.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals