• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 F-150 - Where Does the Coil Go?

Six

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-150
Transmission
Manual
Alright, so this question is not as stupid as it sounds. I bought the truck and went to do a tune up when I realized that some masochist had swapped out the original ignition system for something older. Something with points... why dear (insert preferred divine entity) would you do that?

Based on the fact that the clamping screw was bent to clear the fuel pump and the bracket itself was fastened with a large wood screw, I presume that the location where it was mounted to the block is not the factory location. Probably I will need to find or fabricate a new bracket, but if anybody can send a picture or provide a reasonable description I would appreciate it.

Engine is the 300 six cyl.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The reason the ignition was swapped is the same reason we swap out the system on the old 2.8 v6. Ford used a computer controlled system with the ignition and the carb. When that system breaks, it's very difficult to figure out and get parts for. So it probably has been converted to a older type distributor with a vacuum advance. This is good for you. You may have some things to straighten out though.

If you have the distributor with no vacuum line and the module mounted to the distributor, you still have the original TFI computer controlled ignition. If you have a older duraspark II distributor with a vacuum advance, someone has been converting. Or you can also buy a aftermarket HEI distributor.

Six

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-150
Transmission
Manual
I bought a Duraspark II (which is what it was originally), along with the control module and a harness to hook up the right coil. So far as I can tell, there is no computer control involved. Everything will hook up nicely, no loose wires or extra parts or anything. I just am not sure where the coil is supposed to be. There is a picture that came with the coil harness that looks like it sits on the intake manifold, but that picture also looks like a V8.

The distributor that I pulled out looks maybe late 60's vintage based on stuff that I've had in the past. My guess is whoever did it either pulled it out of something in their yard or just happened to have it in the garage

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the I6(4.9l) the coil is mounted sideways, on the block/head just above fuel pump and distributor, kind of between them, and just below #2 and #3 spark plugs

Google: 1985 ford f-150 i6 coil mounting

view 1980-86 F series ignition coil video, good view right off the bat

Six

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-150
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron. That's pretty much where it was, but it was mounted vertically. Guess I'll figure out a bracket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals