• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 F-150 Tranny Swap Guidance

Six

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-150
Transmission
Manual
Looking for some input... I have an 85 F-150 with a 300 six and want to swap the 3.03 3 speed for a five speed. Wondering what will bolt up with little or no modification (preferably none). So far none of the information I can find goes past mid-70's. Thanks.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
M5OD-R2 should be what you need.

Six

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-150
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I'll look into that

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The 5 speed has the bellhousing made into the trans, unlike the 3 speeds and 4 speeds with a separate bellhousing. So you will need a 5 speed that came from a 300 six, 302, or 351w.

I didn't know they had 3 speeds in 1985 still. What type of hydraulic clutch do you have? Some were external slave, some were internal slave. You may have to swap some stuff there.

You may need some modifications to the driveshaft also. If you find the right truck with the trans you want,, the proper engine and the proper wheelbase, it will be a bolt in. You just need all the right parts. Much easier if you get a donor. Can be cheaper also once you sell off the leftover parts.

Six

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-150
Transmission
Manual
I didn't know either until I bought the truck. It has been transferred to the floor by a previous owner. Not super savvy on transmissions, but it looks like the same one that I had in a '70 Bronco that I had years ago, difference being the hydraulic clutch with the slave cylinder in place of the linkage (so, yeah, external).
I'll keep it in mind while I look around. Don't really want to buy a whole donor if I can avoid it, the rest of the truck is pretty solid, and down here the things that I might replace would likely be in the same condition anyway.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
3 on the trees lasted untill 86 in the F series.

They got rare as shit after 75 or so though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals