• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 Cruise Control Question

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi all,

As I work on my BII, I am strongly considering a Duraspark swap for the ignition system on the 2.8. I'm afraid I'm going to run into computer issues as it is running pretty rich now. The only issue I will have to over come is the A4lD TC lockup. I found the GM switch on ebay for $30 (seems a little steep to me but anyhow). So my question is on the brake switch.

My BII has cruise and it works. I know there is a brake switch that will turn off cruise. Can I utilize this for the lock up control as well?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It just runs off the brake light switch and only has power when the pedal is depressed. I think that is the opposite of what you want unless you use a relay or something to get power when pedal is not depressed that goes away when pedal is depressed.

A small connector on the drivers side of the firewall is where the CC gets the brake signal.

Last edited:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It just runs off the brake light switch and only has power when the pedal is depressed. I think that is the opposite of what you want unless you use a relay or something to get power when pedal is not depressed that goes away when pedal is depressed.

A small connector on the drivers side of the firewall is where the CC gets the brake signal.

thank you for the feedback. I had suspected it might be opposite of what I need.

I'm debating on what to do with this 2150A carb.... decisions, decisions.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The torque converter will still lock up, but at a higher speed, without the TCC control
TC lock was added for better MPG

Off-roaders have been using manual TC lock up since the first electric transmissions came out
You could install a switch to activate TCC and then have it disabled when brake light power was on, then turn it back on when moving again, a pain but doable

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The torque converter will still lock up, but at a higher speed, without the TCC control
TC lock was added for better MPG

Off-roaders have been using manual TC lock up since the first electric transmissions came out
You could install a switch to activate TCC and then have it disabled when brake light power was on, then turn it back on when moving again, a pain but doable
I was hoping to be able to do it like the GM boys did with the vacuum switch. That would still require a brake switch though.

I'm going to try and get the feedback carb and all working properly this weekend, I know for a fact the choke is staying closed. I just don't want to dump a lot of money into the feedback system if the duraspark turns out to be the better investment.

Setting up the choke properly will be a good lesson for me whether its on a feedback carb or not.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals