• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 bronco stalling in gear

Danny G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I recently purchased my 1985 bronco 2 and either when i shift it will either stall or if i ever come to a stop in drive or reverse it will stall with a little puff of smoke out the carb. Someone before me had a rochester carb on it so nothing from any other posts makes sense to me. Im not really sure where to start on this. Oldest thing ive worked on before this was an 87 corvette so my knowledge on earlier engines specifically carbureted is poor. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Im looking into an engine swap however id like to be able to drive it a little for the time being

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If someone has monkeyed with the carb, it's a sure bet the original engine management system is all messed up.

I am assuming you have the original 2.8 v6? It originally had a computer system that ran the engine, same computer system that the fuel injected mustangs ran. The original carb had a fuel solenoid that the computer cycled to control the fueling, and it also had a dc servo motor to control the idle speed. The distributor didn't control the timing at all, that was done by the computer. The distributor has no centrifugal weights or vacuum advance on it to control the timing.

If you still have the original computer controlled distributor, it will have a module on the side of it and no vacuum advance. It's popular to get rid of this and put a older style distributor in place along with a normal carb. The older style distributor is getting harder to find though. You can get a normal carb that fits off Amazon or Ebay.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, as said above in a 1985 there was a "feedback carb", and a computer that increased the idle when an automatic was shifted into gear
A little solenoid on the carb

Without that you will just need to set the idle higher than you may like so it won't stall in gear

Yes, check and reset spark timing as needed

Dustin_89BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Did you get it straight Danny G?

Danny G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Ive been caught up with school and work and havent had the same time I used to to look at it. First time ive ever worked on a carbureted engine so im pretty much at a complete loss with no time to figure it out at the moment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals