• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 Bronco II Paint & Body Thread

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What kind of body filler did you end up buying? I have been using 3M Platinum... the yellow stuff with blue hardener. I like it a lot more than Bondo brand but it was free so that may have influenced my thinking.

One more "block" that came in real handy for me was a sponge pad that 3M makes...I think their part number is 05526. It's considerably more flexible than the durablocks and makes sanding on curved surfaces really easy.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What kind of body filler did you end up buying? I have been using 3M Platinum... the yellow stuff with blue hardener. I like it a lot more than Bondo brand but it was free so that may have influenced my thinking.

One more "block" that came in real handy for me was a sponge pad that 3M makes...I think their part number is 05526. It's considerably more flexible than the durablocks and makes sanding on curved surfaces really easy.
I ordered the 3M platinum that you mentioned previously. I've read all the reviews on how it applies better than Bondo etc.

I'll look into the block. Thanks for the advice as usual.

Looks like my start date at new job is in a week on the first. Got some more to get back at it lol.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The body work begins. I'm basically a novice at this. Trying my best to fill, sand, fill, sand, repeat. I'm using the DA a little, but I'm mostly using the durablocks to try and get it pretty flat. The one behind the driver door sucks, bit I'll keep working at it. Good news is the epoxy primer sands very easily. I plan on shooting two more coats of it since I have it, but that is a ways off at the moment. Still more work ahead.

Attachments

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Looks good, you will want a bunch of primer over any filler you have, filler soaks up primer like crazy. I was advised to use etch primer over any bare metal that's exposed too where you sand through your primer.

Think about removing the nuts on your wiper linkage studs and letting the whole thing fall into the cowl... one of my first (failed) attempts at base coat involved spraying around those studs, it was very difficult to paint around them completely. Getting them out of the way made things significantly easier... the last thing you want is a run or a bare spot there because the stupid studs were in the way.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Was able to get another coat of primer on it today. Weather isn't warm enough for another, so I'll let it cure out because I was going to sand between coats anyways. I think I've got the dent behind the driver's door in good shape, but I need to fix a couple small things on the tailgate and the passenger fender isn't perfect yet.

Luckily this primer goes pretty far. I highly recommend the Direct to Anything primer from Tamco paint for anyone wanting to get an epoxy. Sprays great and is easy to sand. It is a rust encapsulator at 3 coats, and I'll probably end up with 4. I'm going to use it as a sealer as well.

It also has a slight sheen so it's much easier to see any imperfections at this stage vs before I every get paint on it.

My technique was much improved this time as well. Snapped a few pictures too.

Getting there a little at a time.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another small round of body filler and a primer coat for today.

I think next we'll be wet sanding and one final coat of primer.

I think it's turning out pretty good. This won't be showroom by any means, but it shouldn't rust anymore!

The weather is the only that will slow down my progress at this point.

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Looking good!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did some wet sanding today trying to fix the last few minor things, then another coat of primer and it should be ready for top coat.

The weather is fighting me, been too cool to spray really. I might try to spray inside at some point, but that will require a lot of work I'm sure. Just have to weigh my options.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well... Sitting here waiting on winter to be over. Really miss driving my Bronco, and the my commute to work is less than 5 miles one way now, so it is begging to be driven. I have started it and let it warms up and pull it out of the garage a few times. It has started and ran well.

It is leaking a little bit of oil from the valve covers, and my trans pan is leaking, but I'll tidy all that up once I get the last primer coat and get some paint on this beast.

Last edited:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well... I've done all I can do as far as the priming goes, it is not absolutely perfect, but is good and will look amazing next to what it did. Plus it has protection from rust which was most important to me.

Now it is time to get the paint on order and pick a good weather weekend to get started.

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That's really coming along!

Your auxiliary trans cooler looks identical to the one on my '84 Ranger. My thought is that these were dealership-installed; looks like a Ford part, but added after the assembly line.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Your auxiliary trans cooler looks identical to the one on my '84 Ranger. My thought is that these were dealership-installed; looks like a Ford part, but added after the assembly line.
Nope, that cooler' tis factory.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Nope, that cooler' tis factory.
As far as I know it's factory.

I actually plan to upgrade to a bigger one I have on the shelf. I'll do that before I put the new grille on.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Awesome work. Can't wait to see color.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals