Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I just read this thread and after doing transmissions for years I'm horrified that anyone would drill into a fluid passage without completely stripping and cleaning the transmission. I'd want to tear it down and go through it but you may get away with cleaning the valve body if you're lucky. Once the valve body is out you should remove and check every valve to make sure they move freely and aren't scored. Polish any scratches with 400 paper and check the bore it rides in carefully. I used a tinkertoy with a piece of 400 folded into the groove to polish inside the bores. If you're too young to know what tinkertoys are, get a 1/4" or 5/16" wooded dowel and cut a slit in one end to hold the 400 paper. Obviously, you'll only be able to rotate the dowel in one direction.Go slow and check frequently, you want to remove only the scratches and not oversize the bore.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Did you unbolt and disassemble the governor? The valve body would be the next place to look. 369594D2-F358-402C-B4A9-B71DCC302FAA.jpeg4F0277AC-75DF-4448-A33A-E8B03B383945.jpeg

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just read this thread and after doing transmissions for years I'm horrified that anyone would drill into a fluid passage without completely stripping and cleaning the transmission. I'd want to tear it down and go through it but you may get away with cleaning the valve body if you're lucky. Once the valve body is out you should remove and check every valve to make sure they move freely and aren't scored. Polish any scratches with 400 paper and check the bore it rides in carefully. I used a tinkertoy with a piece of 400 folded into the groove to polish inside the bores. If you're too young to know what tinkertoys are, get a 1/4" or 5/16" wooded dowel and cut a slit in one end to hold the 400 paper. Obviously, you'll only be able to rotate the dowel in one direction.Go slow and check frequently, you want to remove only the scratches and not oversize the bore.
Knowing what I know now, I agree.

I read on the tech article about drilling it and followed the directions. I used grease on the tap and drill, but I doubt that was enough.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '94, '80
Make / Model
Ford, GMC
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For drilling the hole and keeping pieces of metal out;
I wonder if using a vacuum and clear plastic hose would help. Cut the hose on an angle and an access hole for the drill bit. Some duct tape to hold it in position.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Don't drill into it unless you strip it down to the bare case. I've had governors stick after washing all the internals and case in the parts washer and then rewashing everything with spray carb clean and blowing it off. A tiny particle is all it takes.

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My goal is to remove the valve body this week and clean it really well. Any tips? I've heard the separator plate gasket might be a pain to get off.

I might replace the OD solenoid because I'll already be in this deep....

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Never got around to fixing this yet.......

Plan is to drop valve body, and remove extension housing to get to governor better.

I'll make sure I clean it all up real well and reassembly. I hope that fixes it....