• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 Ranger 4.0 swap

MarshalG95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
I’m going from a carb’d 2.8 to the 4.0 OHV out of a 94 Ranger. I know that I should swap gas tanks for one with a fuel pump, but I’m wondering if I can just go with an in-line pump and keep my original tank. Found one on jegs 43psi so that’s right in the ballpark, but do I have to get a pressure regulator also? Or do fuel injected engines already have a regulator?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That should be fine.

The 1997 and earlier 4.0l OHV have a pressure regulator on the engine but need a RETURN fuel line from engine to gas tank, so 2 gas lines

Also your 1985 fuel gauge needs a specific OHM reading from gas tank float/sender, Ford change it in 1987, so only a 1986 and earlier will work with your gauge

You may want to look at a 1986 2.9l Fuel Pump assemble, it will have the return line fitting and the Lift pump to feed the high pressure pump, but I think these are hard to find
And not sure if it fits the 1985 tank

You should be able to plumb a Return line to the top of the tank's assembly using a 90deg fitting and I would install a hose on the inside that is long enough to reach bottom of the tank so fuel just doesn't spray out
Return line is low pressure(under 3psi) so barbed fittings and connections are fine to use

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That should be fine.

The 1997 and earlier 4.0l OHV have a pressure regulator on the engine but need a RETURN fuel line from engine to gas tank, so 2 gas lines

Also your 1985 fuel gauge needs a specific OHM reading from gas tank float/sender, Ford change it in 1987, so only a 1986 and earlier will work with your gauge

You may want to look at a 1986 2.9l Fuel Pump assemble, it will have the return line fitting and the Lift pump to feed the high pressure pump, but I think these are hard to find
And not sure if it fits the 1985 tank

You should be able to plumb a Return line to the top of the tank's assembly using a 90deg fitting and I would install a hose on the inside that is long enough to reach bottom of the tank so fuel just doesn't spray out
Return line is low pressure(under 3psi) so barbed fittings and connections are fine to use

I thought the fuel level sender ohm range changed in 89. That's way just throwing an 89-92 pump/sender assembly in doesn't work for deleting the second pump on 85-88 trucks.

The 83 and 84 tanks had a small hole for the level sender. In 85 the hole got bigger to allow a pump in because the 2.3 went to EFI that year.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I think you are right for Ranger, 1988 and earlier for correct sender, still hard to come by I think

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, I think you are right for Ranger, 1988 and earlier for correct sender, still hard to come by I think
Not really.

The sender just by itself for the 83 to 85 is hard to get. An in-tank pump assembly for 86 to 88 is readily available just about anywhere parts are sold.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just looked and yes there seem to be many, why do members post about not finding them or is it just OEM that are hard to come by?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I just looked and yes there seem to be many, why do members post about not finding them or is it just OEM that are hard to come by?
I haven't had any issues finding Motorcraft ones. Been a few years since I looked though, but last time I bought one RockAuto had them in stock for the B2.

The sender, just the level sender manifold used from 83-85 on the carb engines has been completely unavailable, both in OE or aftermarket, for nearly twenty years now. I think that may be what you are thinking of.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals