• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 mustang engine going into a 86 ranger

Joel34

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I purchased a 1986 ford ranger recently and wanted a little more umph and I saw this 1984 mustang with a 2.3L. My truck has a 5 speed manual I was hoping someone would know if the bolt pattern matched up, I'm not sure if the 2 year difference would make a difference. Thanks

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
2.3/2.0/2.5 in rangers 2000 older are all the same pattern as 2.3 mustangs.. but tbh, the engines are roughly the same power wise to the point were the swap aint worth it.. unless your ranger has a very worn engine..

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Your Ranger with fuel injection probably has more power than the carbureted Mustang engine. That said, if your engine needs a freshening up if you swapped your head on the mustang block you would be fine, the mustang intake pattern is different than the fuel injected Ranger head.

On the other hand, if your ranger happens to be a 2.0L, it'll be carbureted and the 2.3L mustang engine would be an upgrade.

Like said, all 2.3L's and 2.5L in Rangers from '83 to mid '01 had the same bolt pattern for the transmission

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
As the replies above stated it is not worth the trouble unless it was a really neat tuned turbo motor!!!! That would be cool.

Joel34

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you guys so much!! I really appreciate you guys saving my money!! I will probably just regear my little ranger. Only doing that so I can put larger tires on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals