• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 ford Bronco 2 quits at 45mph

Kylemynee48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My Bronco 2 quits whenever I try to drive faster than 45mph. I replaced the spark plugs and ignition wires. I rebuilt the carburetor. I also replaced the fuel filter. I don’t know what else I have to replace to fix it. It was working a year ago then sat for a few months and then the problem started. Please help!!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

The Engine is a self powered air pump
Needs good flow of air IN
And good air flow OUT(exhaust)

Restrict either one and limited RPM/speed is the result
Vacuum gauge can be used to test for clogged exhaust, cheap tool and very good for diagnosing engines in general

Spark timing, you mentioned plugs and wires which need to be changed now and then, and spark timing also needs to be reset now and then

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do they still use a timing light? I still have one but wouldn't guess anything still use after 1964

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Timing lights are very very handy to have

You can of course set timing on engines with distributors
You can check if you are getting spark advance when REVing an engine, on any engine
You can check each spark plug wire for steady strobe flash, on any engine, very handy for "coil pack" spark systems, its obvious if spark is "missing a beat" every now and then, and if it is, you will hear engine misfire at missing beat so its a spark misfire and you now know the cylinder number

Timing lights with the clamp on(inductance) probe are best, as you can change to other spark plug wires easier
I have 3 now, pick them up at garage sales, $5 or less, lol

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure to remove the 'spout connector' when setting ignition timing (and replacing it when done). Although that seems unlikely to be your issue. I would also check fuel pressure and flow, the pump(s) may be too weak, fuel filter is clogged or there is debris in your fuel tank. As Ron said, it needs air and of course also fuel and good spark at the correct time. And check comoression, too. Good luck!

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When I have had to fix that type of problem (flat out dying) once up to speed it has been the TFI module. Only once did I have to replace the distributor itself. On the 2.9L, I had to replace the high pressure fuel pump once because the connector was so bad, it would overheat the pump and shut down.

Same with the FSB and F series, though instead it was the Duraspark box, never had a TFI problem on the full sized trucks with them shutting down while driving at speed.

IF you had an automatic transmission and bad torque converter clutch, that can stall an engine around 40-45 MPH. But, you have a 1985 and manual transmission, so, that would be out. My experiences with bad clutches is they will not kill the engine at speed, they just will not go anywhere while reving to the red line once you got to the higher gears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals