• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84+ Dana 60 in RBV

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I am trying to find pics of guys using the 84+ Ford d60 front in their rbv and retaining the use of the coils.

Reason i ask is because the newer 60's have shorter distance on the left tube between the knuckle and the pig. So my questions is, is their room? Right now i have coil buckets moved off the frame to secure to the stock location on a Full width D44 set-up.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where theres a will there is a way. ha ha I apologize for being useless but if nobodys got it then it may be a good reason to do try it. then again it might be no one has it cause it just dont work. Are you planning a swap or just throwing ideas around?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It's '86+ D60s ('80-'85 F-350s had D50s, along with all '99-'01 SRW trucks).

I've seen people use a radius arm setup with coils on those, although they did modify the housing so a bracket could be fitted up to it (basically they just trimmed the pig back a bit to expose a bit more tube).

Unfortunately I didn't save the pics when I saw it though, sorry (I want to say it was over on Pirate4x4, a guy was converting his Bronco over to a 60).

While a little wide, you might also look at the '05up D60s. These are already set up for coils/radius arms, and have 35 spline shafts all the way to the hubs. You'll likely want the matching rear Sterling to go with it though as the lug patterns are unique on these axles.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I have been looking around and can only find the 86+ D60's in my area and want to keep the coils up front.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure with enough work you could put it in there but you may have a problem with the diff hitting the bottom of the frame rail under extreme flex. You also will have a severe angle on the front shaft due to the offset. I have one of these axles in my dually. I will try and post pics of it tomorrow. I know my front shaft is on an angle already I'd be afraid to see what it would look like hooked to a 1350 or 1354. How wide is the frame on a ranger between the coil buckets? I will measure the axle and see roughly where the diff will sit on your frame.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It can be done.

I opted to gain a bit of width by moving the coil buckets out about 2" per side. I still needed to round off the cast leaf perch on the driver's side in order to fit the lower coil bracket.

You will almost definitely need to modify that as well. There really isn't room to do it any other way.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i have a buddy with the ball joint 60 in his ranger with a 1350, but hes running leafs in the front and i want to retain my coils.

As far as hitting the frame, i can't imagine it being much worse then a narrow D44 and the engine crossmember clearance.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic

Bought a 95 SRW with 3.54s....

Missing a caliper and bracket, and the pinion is snapped at the yoke but no damaged to the housing. everything else is there. $200

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals