• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 Bronco II Lost Keys/Cylinder replacement.

JC1968

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 2001/19
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Alright, so I've misplaced my keys and have searched day and night for them with no success. I've come to the point where I think i'll have to replace the door cylinders/keys. I can still drive the truck as I replaced the ignition cylinder and have the spare for that. Has anyone replaced these before? and if so, is it just remove and replace? I think my worry is in the rear hatch. It has the keyed open for window/gate latch and I can't find these anywhere. Thanks in advance.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did the doors and hatch on my 88 5 years ago. I don't remember what exactly had to be done, but I was done in less than an hour. Almost all of time was removing/reinstalling panels to get access (I didnt have the proper panel tools back then). I think the door locks are held in by a forked spring clip and the linkage is held on by metal or plastic clip.
The hatch, I don't remember.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The front doors are easy. You remove the door cards, roll the windows up, and there is a latch rod attached to a little pawl. I don't remember the exact style of the connection, but you have to remove that rod. Then, if you look at the edge of the door that faces rear when closed there is a big plain metal piece, pull it out. Then the door lock cylinders will come out. I've never done the hatch lock and have no info to offer there.

If your door lock retainers (the metal forks that you pull of out the door) are damaged PM me. I have an envelope of them sitting around here somewhere.

JC1968

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 2001/19
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome. I'm going to replace the door cylinders soon and the as for the rear hatch, I removed the back panel on the door and rigged it up so I can just open it from the inside. I'll fix this soon but for now it works. Thanks for the help.

@adsm08, thanks for the offer. I'll be sure to PM you if I need some replacement door lock retainers.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Awesome. I'm going to replace the door cylinders soon and the as for the rear hatch, I removed the back panel on the door and rigged it up so I can just open it from the inside. I'll fix this soon but for now it works. Thanks for the help.

@adsm08, thanks for the offer. I'll be sure to PM you if I need some replacement door lock retainers.
It has been 20+ years since I worked at the Ford dealer, BUT, I think the Explorer rear handle was a fairly easy swap. I know the Aerostar 8 or 10 pin door cyl was a swap too. That being said ...

Go with older Ford van ign and door cyl set and key everything the same (square) key. I have done that before. When you have 2-3 Ford trucks it makes the key ring much smaller, especially if you carry a spare door/ign on your house key ring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals