• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 Bronco II Durapsark Conversion Help

JC1968

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 2001/19
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Very well could be. I'm not sure what it is. Ill be doing a flush soon and hopefully clear any of that stuff that could still be in there.

JC1968

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 2001/19
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Alright. I replaced the waterpump, thermostat, and radiator. Seems to be running cooler now. Issue I have now is when it's idling and sitting it runs great. When I push the accelerator, still good. But when I put it in first gear and start going, it stalls out. I figure a carb adjust? Any input helps.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would definitely adjust the idle mixture screws. They are on the front of the carb way down low, a little difficult to see. Get it idling good, warmed up good, and then turn one screw in and then out till it runs the best. Then go to the other one and do the same. Then go back and do it again with the first one, and then do the second screw one more time. You may have to reset your idle speed after this.

Another question. Did you find the ported vacuum port for the distributor? Or are you running the distributor at full manifold vacuum? If you are running the dist at full manifold vacuum, it can cause the stalling problem also. If adjusting the carb doesn't cure the stalling problem, unplug the distributor vacuum. If it's on manifold vacuum, the idle speed will drop way down, it may even stall. Plug the port so you will not have a vacuum leak, and then adjust the idle speed back up till it's where you like it. With the dist vacuum line still plugged, drop it in gear and see if it stalls. If it doesn't, you need to find the ported vacuum port for the distributor before you hook it back up.

JC1968

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 2001/19
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would definitely adjust the idle mixture screws. They are on the front of the carb way down low, a little difficult to see. Get it idling good, warmed up good, and then turn one screw in and then out till it runs the best. Then go to the other one and do the same. Then go back and do it again with the first one, and then do the second screw one more time. You may have to reset your idle speed after this.

Another question. Did you find the ported vacuum port for the distributor? Or are you running the distributor at full manifold vacuum? If you are running the dist at full manifold vacuum, it can cause the stalling problem also. If adjusting the carb doesn't cure the stalling problem, unplug the distributor vacuum. If it's on manifold vacuum, the idle speed will drop way down, it may even stall. Plug the port so you will not have a vacuum leak, and then adjust the idle speed back up till it's where you like it. With the dist vacuum line still plugged, drop it in gear and see if it stalls. If it doesn't, you need to find the ported vacuum port for the distributor before you hook it back up.
Okay. I'll take a look when I get back home. Also, just realized I haven't blocked off the EGR with a plate yet. Would this also be causing the issue?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
A leaky EGR will cause it to have a rough idle. If the EGR is leaking really bad it will not want to idle at all.

JC1968

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 2001/19
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Okay. I'll take a crack at it this weekend. Thanks!!

JC1968

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 2001/19
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know it's been a long while. But I've finally finished the duraspark conversion with great success. I replaced the radiator/hoses/waterpump/thermostat and cleaned out all of the oil residue around the engine and no longer have the overheating issue. Overall it's been a great success and it's been doing great out in the mountains. Looking forward to see what else I do!! thanks for all the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals