• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 BII with 96 Explorer 5.0

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Quick update:

Only get to work on it a few hours once in a while but I’ve got the upper intake manifold on, except for back bolt, clearance issues with firewall/cowl cleanout cover, going to massage it a bit for clearance and use a stud instead. Also starting to do some wiring and auxiliary engine type stuff.

Not everything is in place yet, a few parts are just laying on top:

Hope to get some more done soon.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
looks like the sploder fan could fit. but its bigger then that radiator:icon_rofl:

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ah, what you’re probably seeing in the picture is the electric fan bracket. The radiator is half tucked under the core support and not visible. But, there is about an inch of room between the fan and the engine.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
that is what i see.

sploder fan is big, well the earlier steel one seemed huge....for some reason 18 inch is in my mind.

the later plastic unit seems like it would fit in there fine if you wanted a mechanical fan.

but i like e fans better.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Yeah, I like the e fans too. Mine might be a little weak for a 5.0, it was an aftermarket unit designed for a 2.9 that I used to have on my old Ranger. If it doesn’t work out at least I’m not out any money, it was just sitting around after I parted out the Ranger. I have the room to upgrade to a better e fan if I need to.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
So how is this coming?

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Wow, I gave an update a couple weeks ago but I don't see my post on here now! I'm not sure what happened there.

Well, I don't get a ton of time to work on it, I've been trying to sneak out to the garage once in a while after my wife and kid goes to bed to work a bit. I fired up the engine for the first time a couple weeks ago, hence the post that I claimed to have posted. Maybe I'm getting old and senile... I was pretty stoked I was able to get it fired up, albeit just on temporary wiring. I've still got a ton of wiring to do and I'm getting ready to place an order for some exhaust parts and electrical connectors that I can't seem to find in the garage anymore. We moved shops twice and I've moved four times since I parted out the Explorer that the engine came from so I guess I'm bound to lose a few things.

I also need to shorten some driveshafts. And I think I'm going to have to modify the front crossmember (radius arm to radius arm) to get a driveshaft enough room to move up and down.

My goal for March was to start the engine and I accomplished that with a few days to spare. My goal for April was to get it to move under it's own power and put an exhaust on it so my kid isn't scared of it when I start it up. I've got plenty of month left but I don't think I'm going to make it as now I'm going to have to go out of town for work. Unless the parts fairy is super nice to me and can deliver in a couple days.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
I got one driveshaft shortened today. Didn't get it put on though as I couldn't find u joint bolts. Add them to the order too...

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
I met my April goal! I threw the driveshaft in and bled the clutch and got it to move under its own power. Took it around the block a couple times, even only partially together and just for a couple blocks it was a blast to drive. I even took the wife for a quick spin around the block and she thought it was pretty fun too. Still tons more to do but at least I met my mini goal.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
so what did you do for a tcase? looks like a fun swap, i may plan to do one with my dad for my 90

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
I’m using an NP208 from an 84 Bronco (full size). It has a fixed rear yoke unlike the slip yokes most of the F150s has. It’s just narrow enough to fit the frame rails but if I recall correctly I had to cut off one of the top lifting tabs but can’t recall if it was a width issue or a height issue.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
thanks for the fast reply, happy to hear the 208 is an option.

i should’ve also asked the next to things i’m gonna ask with my other post but oh well.

1. have you done anything about the computer not seeing an automatic trans? if not, what are you going to do.

2. did you have to do anything with the m5od-r2 shifter not lining up with the factory shifter location?

tia

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1. I have not done anything yet to fool the computer into thinking there’s an auto transmission there. I’ve taken it for a few short drives around the block and haven’t noticed any drivability issues yet. My donor is a 96 model and this might be one of the reasons it seems to be working so far. I might have issues down the road when I get it driving but so far so good. I suspect they changed the programming in later build dates which may cause more issues.

2. I put a 2” body lift on and massaged the firewall a bit to put the engine as low and rearward as possible. Additionally, I used a 90 ranger shift lever which is a bit shorter than an f150 one but it bolted up. This puts the shift knob into a reasonable location. It’s still pretty far forward but I don’t hit my hand on the dash but it’s very close.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Well, I got to drive the B2 to work twice this week, no issues. I still have a ton of small stuff to do but I currently have a driving vehicle capable of making it to work. Has plenty of power and no drivability issues so far.

I ended up making a new transmission cross member to push the transmission a bit more to the passenger side so the front driveshaft would clear the radius arm cross member.

The four wheel drive works. The air conditioning works. These were big things for me to call it a working vehicle.

Still need to fix following:
Boot for transfer case lever is torn/doesn’t seal very well.
Speedo is off, I believe I have the correct gear in my parts bin, just need to swap it out for the right one.
Parking brake cable not connected yet.
Need to mount center console (from late 90s Explorer).
Front oil pan sump drain plug is leaking. Hoping a new gasket takes care of that.
Paint. Very much so.
A few other odds and ends, well, many items to improve. This project will probably never be done but hopefully gets better as time passes and I get a chance to fix more things on it.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals