• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'83 tailgate question

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Is there a bushing in the tailgate where it pivots? I see them for later years, but hadn't seen anything for the first gens. The tailgate is loose without anything . . so?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Yes, there is a bushing in the passenger side pivot point. I've had a lot of trouble locating one for my 87, and everything the parts stores had wouldn't come close to fitting correctly. I ended up going to the junkyard and grabbing every single one they had. I'm keeping them all for back-up since they're so old I figure they'll break in short order..

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I'm finishing up my redo :) I need to find one. Anyone?

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
She's a looker!

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. 76mojo . . are you willing to sell one? or at the least loan me one? I have made molds of parts before and could possibly make a mold and produce a few. We could start with a couple close up pics so I can see exactly what I'm dealing with. Hope you're willing to help.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Truck looks awesome! Wish I had the part you're looking for, both of my tailgates are missing that stupid thing.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The bushing seems like something a 3d printer could do. I don't know if the plastic would hold up. But easy enough to print another.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The bushing seems like something a 3d printer could do. I don't know if the plastic would hold up. But easy enough to print another.
I was in some college classes recently, and we did a TON of 3D printing. That plastic is tough as nails. When entering your design in to Cura or whatever software you use to create the G-code for the printer, the user would only need to be sure they selected the option to NOT make the part hollow with internal supports. Make it a completely solid piece and it would outlast the truck pretty easily. It would be hard on the paint though, as it's quite abrasive, though you could likely coat it with a dry lube and have no problems..

Given the measurements, if I was still in those college classes, I could whip up the 3D part using Inventor in less than 30 minutes easily.

Sorry, but I can't loan anything out. It's not hard to prototype parts such as this just by using your own measurements. IF you want it bad enough. I'm currently doing that with a Sport Trac front brake conversion because no one would lend me their brackets, or make me a set for $$$..

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
A 3d printer would be one of my options. But it's not as easy as it sounds. I very detailed drawing and file is needed. I can do that, but my first option would be a mold. Less time involved that doing the CAD drawing.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I was in some college classes recently, and we did a TON of 3D printing. That plastic is tough as nails. When entering your design in to Cura or whatever software you use to create the G-code for the printer, the user would only need to be sure they selected the option to NOT make the part hollow with internal supports. Make it a completely solid piece and it would outlast the truck pretty easily. It would be hard on the paint though, as it's quite abrasive, though you could likely coat it with a dry lube and have no problems..

Given the measurements, if I was still in those college classes, I could whip up the 3D part using Inventor in less than 30 minutes easily.

Sorry, but I can't loan anything out. It's not hard to prototype parts such as this just by using your own measurements. IF you want it bad enough. I'm currently doing that with a Sport Trac front brake conversion because no one would lend me their brackets, or make me a set for $$$..
As a retired Auto , Engineering and Architecture teacher, I am disappointed with your response. How do we help each other if not for small things like this? Really disappointed in your response . .later

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
LMC allegedly has these. I'm not sure why but the part says it only fits 89-92? As far as I know the tailgates and hinges from 83-92 are all the same. Their book even confirms that. Perhaps a typo, wouldn't be the first time.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
LMC allegedly has these. I'm not sure why but the part says it only fits 89-92? As far as I know the tailgates and hinges from 83-92 are all the same. Their book even confirms that. Perhaps a typo, wouldn't be the first time.
I haven't seen them anywhere and I have been cross referencing part numbers. If LMC had the right piece, you'd think it would show up at least somewhere else? I took some measurements today and I think I'll give it a try. Would be nice if I had one to see , by pic or in hand. But God . . these must be so valuable and who am I to trust right ?? LOL too much . . the younger generation is shit. Quote me on that.

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pete, I'm working on my tailgate as well. Here's a pic of what I think you're looking for. I picked mine up at a salvage yard a couple years back. If you need a different angle or something else, let me know and I'll post it for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals