• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 Tailgate cable issues

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've got and 83 that had a broke tailgate cable when I bought it. I got one from a junkyard like new for it. but when I went to put it on, where the bolt goes into the tailgate, there is nothing there for it to screw into. Does anyone have a diagram of the tailgate latch assembly(on the sides), or know what that bolt screws into? And if something has dropped down in the tailgate, how in the world to get it out.:icon_confused: Thanks:icon_thumby:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The original nuts for the latch are crimped on the corners to grip the tailgate sheetmetal. But over time they come loose and fall out, usually down into the inside of the gate. Here's the original setup:

On first generation trucks, you can only work through the hole created by removing the center unlatching handle; and you can't really get nuts over to the latch bolts.

The best fix I've found is to remove the original square nut-serts, and then alter the square holes, by adding a slot, like this:

And then recontouring the metal a little bit so that you can now use clip-in nuts, like this:

It's not that hard to make this modification, and now you can replace the nut clips easily if it's ever needed. Otherwise, once the factory nuts break loose, you're screwed.

If the original broken nuts are still in the gate, you'll have to dump them out through the removed handle hole, or fish them out with a magnet pickup tool.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Man, that is awesome thanks!:icon_thumby::headbang:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Glad it helps; good luck with it.

dock83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazada
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool tip I did this a few times and spot welded the nuts back in place but it dont last. What a good idea I should hace thought of that. Next time for sure.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll do that as soon as it get above freezing here.:icon_thumby:

dark_flame221

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
got the same freaking problem only that now when a try to unbolt the latch the bolt just spin freely. The nuts broke off the weld i've got not way of keep it from spinning, any tips on how to get this SH*T to work properly since those bolt also hold the tailgate cable and having flat tail gate is always useful

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Torch or cutting wheel...then push it out and fish it out...then try what was recommended...either that...or just get another tailgate and start fresh...I happen to have a spare now...if you're ever in Ontario...

dark_flame221

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
yeah, well that's what i was trying to avoid but then if it's the only remedy, grinded it will be.. thx pal

by any chance where you the guy that was selling skyjacker parts for a ranger on kijiji since like 2-3 months ago ? i saw that add in Ontario, just wondering :p never been able to get in touch with this guy :sad:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sorry, must have missed your post...

Nope, wasn't me...but I do have a few ads on there for various things...seems to be a good place to move things...only had a problem with trying to sell a compressor that was working but not assembled...finally managed to sell it after 4 or 5 months and got about what I wanted for it...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmmm...they look interesting enough...never seen them in Canada though...might give them a shot some time...:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals