• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 ranger2.8v6 carb upgrade questions

rangerI983v62.8L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I have been having a hell of a time with my motorcraft 2150a carb, I just found out there is a huge crack on the back of it by the port that connects the hose to the pcv valve. I am looking at a holly carb #0-7448 Holley 350cfm. If i get this carb, should i do the duraspark convertion?, or can i keep it stock and still use this carb?, Thank you!, look forward into hearing some ideas.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Many have tried to put the holly 350 in the 2.8 and it is just too big for the 2.8 The fuel just drips down onto the manifold. The 2.8 pulls abot 290 cfm at WOT and the venturies in the 350 keep it from atomizing the fuel for a good burn. Especially at slow speeds. You need a carb with the 1.08 venturi or smaller.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What he just said !

I converted a 1985 2.8L to points and used a Holley 2300 from a 1974 2.8L Mustang II motor and all I have had is grief. The 1974 engine probably had work done on it before I bought it because it does 165 psi-180 psi cold after I did a small rebuild of the top. Carb ran fine on that.

Since putting on the 1985, I tried everything and it just dumps fuel and I can hear it ignite in the exhaust or detonations in the engine. I can't get it on this engine above 12Hg. This engine has at least 125 psi cold.

Autolite 365 plugs gapped at .44 and dwell at 39 degrees and I still can not get it to run right. I thought I was going to rebuild tomorrow because it is dumping fuel even after adjustment, guess I just need a smaller carb.

As for the duraspark conversion, you have to do something, the computer will not run correctly after the swap. You will need a base plate and you will have to do some adapting to use the throttle cable.

Last edited:

84TXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I Just did duraspark conversion and used a 2100 Autolite carburetor . I have the original carburetor off of my 1984 if your interested in it. I Put a carb kit in it about a month ago and just could never get the performance i wanted out of the feedback carb i also have the computer,coil,ICM and the distributor.....

twarner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I have an 84 B2 that I'm about to convert to duraspark and a carb. Does the 64-67 Autolite 2100 Round Back Carburetor, (2v), 1.02 Venturi, 245 CFM, Carb fit the manifold without mods? This B2 will be operated at 6500 to 8000ft, Can this carb have the jets changed like a holley or is it adjustable? I'm thinking this is the right size carb for throttle response and low end torque and our elevation. This seem right to you folks?

Terry

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You can change the jets I`m running #42s. That high up you can probably go smaller if necessary.

twarner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Many thanks for the heads up! Ordered on Ebay, delivered to the door.

Terry

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals