• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 Ranger No fan speeds working.

flwsock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi all.

FINALLY got my ranger running well enough to make the trip from storage to my house to patch a shock tower. I noticed that none of the fan speeds work. Before I parked it, I believe one or two or the speeds didn't work. Back then I had replaced the blower motor itself. I looked at the resistor and had replaced it, but it made no difference so I put the stock one back in. But now since putting it in storage NONE of the speeds work. What should I check?

Thanks!

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There should be a Fuse for the blower, 30amp, key on fuse

Heater fans get 12volts with key on, the speed control is the GROUND side, on HIGH its a direct ground from cab speed control
Lower speeds pass thru the resistor block
Which is why fan can work on high but not lower speeds(bad resistor block)

I would first check if fan has 12volts
You can use a sewing needle to pierce the Brown/orange stripe wire on the fan, then use volt meter or test light to see if there is power, Key ON

If there is then pull out the sewing needle and put it in the fans Ground wire, orange/black stripe
Turn speed to high, key off or on doesn't matter
And test that wire to battery positive, volt meter or test light should show 12volts, if so then fan motor is bad

If no Ground then you may need to pull the speed control panel and test its Cab Ground wire, Black wire

flwsock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, Ron! I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what I come up with. I might've even overlooked a broke fuse. I think I checked it, but I'll double check just to be sure!

flwsock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just checked it. We got no power at the orange wire, so we followed it under the fender cover. Turns out the connector to the fan fell off. I must've not of secured it well enough when I replaced it a few years ago (the plastic clips broke off). Picking up a new resistor now because the two lower speeds don't work. Thank god, finally an easy fix!

Thanks,
Karl G.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
How does the connector look? If it is all corroded like the one in '98 was, you might want to consider getting a replacement pig tail. Damn thing almost caught fire before the fan stopped working.

flwsock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey Sgt,
Pig tail could definitely use a clean up, but I don't have the time now to get another one. I'm back off to school today and just finishing some other last second things on the truck before heading back. All the speeds work now, though. So it must be decent enough. Maybe when I come back I'll try to clean up the prongs or get a replacement if I can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals