• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 F250 with a 7.3 idi

ryanj_610

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking into getting an older truck to restore and return these old diesels back to the road and I came across a 1983 F250 with a 7.3 in it. I know the 7.3's didn't come out until 88 so I was wondering if I am going to be getting in over my head with a huge project truck mess. Is this a good investment and a one of a kind truck or is it gonna be a mess.
Thanks,
Ryan

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F9A1A579ACFAD1: October 1st, 2021

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you will need to visually inspect the truck to determine what fabrication was done, how any wiring looks, etc. If it looks good, if they kept notes and documentation then it’s probably safe. If not, then it’s more than likely going to be a headache.

Shran

Junk Collector
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I believe they only offered the 6.9 diesel in that year so it's certainly been swapped in. Supposedly it's almost a bolt in swap but the 6.9 was a better engine in some ways. I concur with what Rowdy said, if it looks like it's in good condition and not all hacked up, go for it.

Recently I saw for sale what WAS a 2v V10 super duty....... somebody had swapped in a IDI 7.3. Was a total mess, and a total waste of time.