• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

800 dollar paint job

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Need new paint. not looking to spend a bunch of money, but i hear about these 800-900 paint jobs... Has anyone gotten one of these? how long do they last? let me know the pros and cons please.

thnks

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i did it myself and i bought ppg paint and primer and clear, if you are getting it done at a shop it will be more, if you take all the precautions with painting a car/truck the paint will stick and last for a long time if you take care of it

i have around $650 in the paint/clear and primer and bondo, fiberglass, and materals

bahndrvr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had good luck with a Maaco job that was 400, then I paid them an additional amount to put 2 coats of clear, do your own prep work though, then take it to them, I got out the door for under 800, and I had about 10 hrs in prep work of my own, turned out flawless actually, I pretaped everything and went with stock color so they didn't have to do the door seals, and i had all the plastics and under the fenders pretaped, they just had to cover windows as I already had the plastics around the windows taped.

The reason maaco paint usually looks good but doesn't last is they don't do a clear on it, i paid for it and was sooo happy with it for hte money.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I like Sikkens. With good paint, you can easily get up to 6-800 in materials alone. Just did my brothers 5.0. Total was around 700 in materials I think. But there was some body repair, bondo, etc.

Last edited:

jhammel85

i did it myself and i bought ppg paint and primer and clear, if you are getting it done at a shop it will be more, if you take all the precautions with painting a car/truck the paint will stick and last for a long time if you take care of it

i have around $650 in the paint/clear and primer and bondo, fiberglass, and materals
Damn that is a nice, nice truck!

And yep, like everyone else is saying, You should be good to go with painting it yourself for that much money. I'm slowly getting things together myself and it's looking to cost about 600-700. Already had a few things sitting around though...

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
30 doller roll on job. rustoleum paint in quarts, mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits

i didnt bother with taking my rear bumper off, so i got some spots where it dripped, i plan on fixing it when i make a tire carrier, but if u take your time and wet sand between coats, and wetsand the final product and buff the wetsand scratches it comes out pretty good

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
yeah i was thinking about doing cheap paint and putting 2 clear coats on. But im gonna have a body shop do it for me. Ill just see if i can get it done for a grand. Plus i need body work done and im no good with that. And i have never painted a car/truck by myself and i have a trust issue with doing it myself lol but thanks for all the ideas guys

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Another roller job. But all materials cost me $170.

Copy of SANY0355.JPG

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I like Sikkens. With good paint, you can easily get up to 6-800 in materials alone. Just did my brothers 5.0. Total was around 700 in materials I think. But there was some body repair, bondo, etc.

Holy piss, what is the name of that color? That's pretty close to what I want on mine, but with silver on the bottom.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
These roller paint jobs dont look bad, but im just concerned how long it will last...

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
These roller paint jobs dont look bad, but im just concerned how long it will last...
I'm hearing years. Mine is only 4 months now so I couldn't say. I know of a guy who did a corvair 6 years ago. Still great. Heck for the price if it fades I'll sand it with 800 grit and do another two coats.

The downside is that it's very labor intensive and mine took 9 full days.

bahndrvr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm hearing years. Mine is only 4 months now so I couldn't say. I know of a guy who did a corvair 6 years ago. Still great. Heck for the price if it fades I'll sand it with 800 grit and do another two coats.

The downside is that it's very labor intensive and mine took 9 full days.
Yeah, have that Corvair site favorited at home, VERY good site with step by step instructions:)

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i think that roller job looks pretty good. id like to see one up close because I might even go that direction when it comes time to repaint mine. anymore info anywhere on a roller job like that?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
search rolled on paint at rangerpowersports.com
theres a link to a whole forum on it, people have years on their jobs and its holding up just fine. im surprised how durable it is. i accidentally shut my hood on a bracket yesterday and it rolled up and caught the front lip of the hood...barely scratched it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals