2.5L ('98-'01) 80-75 PSI on all Cylinders (is this bad?)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I took my truck to go get the plugs, wires, and coils changed out and I asked if he could a compression test. I went to go pick up my truck and he said that all the cylinders were showing between 75-80 PSI. I said that sounds pretty low, he said that it's pretty common in older engines to have that low of a compression and that it isn't anything he would worry about. Your guys thoughts? Around 265,000 miles.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: CFB3B5F7F32B37 Expires: March 30, 2020

Shran

Junk Collector
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Does it run well? Those numbers are way low... if it doesn't run weird or have a severe lack of power, I'd suspect that his gauge is not working right.

Dirtman

Clam chowdah!
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
466.63 teaspoons.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
Give me money.
Anything below 60psi and an engine simply cannot even work. So 75psi would be a barely functioning engine. It would be missing, smoking, banging etc.

But compression tests are more about variation than actual psi numbers. I agree with shran that his guage probably just sucks but if the numbers were all still close I would not worry about it.

I may look for a new mechanic though... one with a functioning compression guage and an understanding that 75psi is not OK.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah man this engine runs just fine, I'm thinking the same thing his gauge must be off.

Dirtman

Clam chowdah!
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
466.63 teaspoons.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
Give me money.
Compression gauges aren't scientifically calibrated so it's normal to get some inaccurate numbers but say your guage reads 10psi low. It'll read 10psi low on everything so it doesnt matter when your looking at numbers of all the cylinders. You are checking variation between cylinders not the actual high psi rating.

But if my guage ran almost 100psi low... I'd ummm buy a new gauge.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
60 PSI may be the bare minimum for a cylinder to fire, but 90 PSI is the minimum for the engine to start on. Anything less won't give enough of a pop at cranking speeds to get her to kick over.

At 60-75 PSI the engine shouldn't run.

Shran

Junk Collector
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
I should do a compression test on my sickle bar mower sometime. I bet that thing has next to none... it will not start with the rope (it's an old Briggs & Stratton from the 40s with a wind-up rope.) But I can get it going if I spin it with a drill... takes a bunch of rotations but it'll eventually come to life. I had the head off a while back to clean up the carbon that was caked on everything and the piston actually moves side to side about 1/16" in the bore. I think oil leaking past the rings is the only reason it has any compression, and it is always followed by a pretty significant cloud of smoke.