• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8 Spark Plugs

dubnutts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 2001
Make / Model
Ford Chevy
Engine Size
2.5 4Cylinder 5.7 V8
Transmission
Automatic
For all you 4 banger truck owners with 8 spark plugs 2 per cylinder, they are a bitch. The ones on the passenger side are easy but the driver side is rough. You have to take off the intake manifold to get to them but it runs way smoother now. It took a few hours but it is way worth it.

phatcap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
yeah when i did mine, i neglected to realize that a couple of those hoses connected to the underside of the manifold are coolant hoses and got sprayed with it upon removing them. oops...:haha:

billy69mach

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Mine Didnt Have Any Coolant Hoses Under The Intake But Mine Is A 1994 2.3

Derek The Great

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
Mine Didnt Have Any Coolant Hoses Under The Intake But Mine Is A 1994 2.3
being a 1994, we also got lucky because we have the crappier intake set up which means we didn't have to remove the intake manifold to get to those drivers side plugs... The toughest plug for me was the passenger side plug closest to the firewall, nasty lil bugger.

dubnutts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 2001
Make / Model
Ford Chevy
Engine Size
2.5 4Cylinder 5.7 V8
Transmission
Automatic
watch for stuck plugs

i started changing them like two months ago but i just got the intake manifold off and started to wrench on the first driverside plug and it broke loose and when it did my hand came back and busted against some metal handle looking thing and i ended up getting 10 stitches in my left thumb got a sweet scar too ill post the pics later

Derek The Great

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
i too work for the busted knuckle garage, hehe

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
They aren't that bad to do...Pull off the hood, Pull out the intake, Change plugs.

The earlier 4 plug motors were easy to change the plugs on, but any dist. work was a bitch, given that that was below the intake manifold, and given that I like points, well, that just makes it more interesting.

look on the bright side...you get better mileage than a 3.0 or 4.0, and you have an engine that can easily hit 250K miles.

sbc63trls250

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just picked up a ranger with 468k. I was just looking at a tune up for this thing. Wtf 8 plugs. I was alittle confused. Does my 97 have that coolant thing in my intake manifold?

th31d10t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I have '96 and I was able to change all 8 plugs without taking off the intake manifold. Taking it off will make like a little easier but it can be done without removing it.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i started changing them like two months ago but i just got the intake manifold off and started to wrench on the first driverside plug and it broke loose and when it did my hand came back and busted against some metal handle looking thing and i ended up getting 10 stitches in my left thumb got a sweet scar too ill post the pics later
Ah, the joys of turning wrenches.
If you do any kind of work on a vehicle you WILL get things like this from time to time. My left index finger is missing the nail section, That was a snowmobile though. My left pinkie finger is slightly shorter(Mud truck) as well as my right(mud truck). My hands are all calloused and scarred from wrenching nearly every day for the last twenty years.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
You guys know there's no reason to remove the intake manifold, right?

Back when mine was stock (1990 dual plug) I could change all eight plugs and wires in about a half hour, without removing anything but the plugs and wires themselves. The intake manifold is designed to allow access to the plugs with about 12" of socket extension.

Now that I have a turbo on the passenger side it takes me 45 minutes because I have to remove a piece of intercooler piping to get to the #2 and #3 plugs on the passenger side.

phatcap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
ever changed em on a '98 or newer? i don't know about you, but i'd rather not risk crossthreading the plug holes trying to f around with 2 ft. of extensions and swivels. i found it much easier to get everything out of the way enough to access the two bastards on the driver's side rear of the motor. it doesn't take that long.

phatcap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
and besides, it gives you a chance to inspect and clean the throttle body, iac, and intake itself if needed.

tylerh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i did mine in my 96 without taking the intake off it can be done but it is a pain you need a big extension and a couple of universals and your good to go but a little tip put some tape on your universals to stiffen them up a little

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Use wobbly extension instead of universals. Much easier, and have a better "feel" for cross-threading.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals