• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 swap

Eli Warnke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey i have an 86 ranger and im hoping to 8.8 swap it, im picking one up out of a 2000 ford ranger and was wondering what all i need to do to get it done and what i will be facing, will i need to get a new driveshaft u joint to do this? And will i have to do any welding or anything? Thanks

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The only thing you should need is the yoke part of the U joint from the donor or something '90 or newer from the junkyard, I "think" the U joints are the same, they just changed the flange size in '90

Other than gaining ring gear strength and probably 10" drums instead of 9" drums, going to a Ranger 8.8 isn't much of an improvement, you will gain about 1.5" inches in width though I think.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
More aftermarket goodies for the 8.8 and considering they are so common if you have to change axles there's no point NOT to upgrade to the 8.8 over the 7.5. :dunno:

If you're doing it just "because" then yea you're pretty much just wasting your time unless you're going all the way to a 31 spline disc brake axle.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If it's a stock 86 upgrading to an 8.8 is a waste of money and will add unsprung weight.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
If it's a stock 86 upgrading to an 8.8 is a waste of money and will add unsprung weight.
Curious. Is this an opinion or a known fact? Hoping to learn something.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
It is heavier, that's a fact. An 85 Mustang GT came with a 7.5 and they took quite a beating. The 8.8 is no doubt stronger, if you need the extra strength. The biggest engine in 86 was a 2.9.

Eli Warnke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The only thing you should need is the yoke part of the U joint from the donor or something '90 or newer from the junkyard, I "think" the U joints are the same, they just changed the flange size in '90

Other than gaining ring gear strength and probably 10" drums instead of 9" drums, going to a Ranger 8.8 isn't much of an improvement, you will gain about 1.5" inches in width though I think.
Sorry, i forgot to mention it is a limited slip 8.8, and i like to go off roading with my buddies quite a bit, so it should make a little improvement rather than the open diff

Eli Warnke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, i forgot to mention it is a limited slip 8.8, and i like to go off roading with my buddies quite a bit, so it should make a little improvement rather than the open diff
And in the future i would like to put a locker in it

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It is heavier, that's a fact. An 85 Mustang GT came with a 7.5 and they took quite a beating. The 8.8 is no doubt stronger, if you need the extra strength. The biggest engine in 86 was a 2.9.
Ok, fair enough, but as the devil's advocate, is the 8.8 that much heavier than the 7.5? maybe 50 lbs. IDK Also, if the stang GT came with the 7.5 couldn't you use that and swap the truck axle gears onto the stang rear end as it probably would have a LSD in it. Correct?

I looking to learn this stuff as I want to get a Gen 1 4x4 here in the near future to restore for my new daily.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Ok, fair enough, but as the devil's advocate, is the 8.8 that much heavier than the 7.5? maybe 50 lbs. IDK Also, if the stang GT came with the 7.5 couldn't you use that and swap the truck axle gears onto the stang rear end as it probably would have a LSD in it. Correct?

I looking to learn this stuff as I want to get a Gen 1 4x4 here in the near future to restore for my new daily.
Mustangs use rear coil springs so all the brackets would be wrong- and they have 4 lug wheels. After 85 GT's had 8.8's and Ford never figured out that Traction Lok would be worth having in the 4 and 6 cylinder cars for snow driving. Better to just put a limited slip carrier into your 7.5. Ford Motorsport/Racing/Performance used to sell one cheap, if it's discontinued Yukon has a decent unit. I'd avoid Auburns and powertrax drop in lockers, and save Detroit Lockers for the hard core racers or mudders.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I just swapped an 8.8 into my 89. Here’s the link to my truck thread. I listed everything I had to do.

Eli Warnke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just swapped an 8.8 into my 89. Here’s the link to my truck thread. I listed everything I had to do.

Ok so all i need is a driveshaft from another ranger with an 8.8, and ill be good, cause thats what im planning on doing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals