• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 question

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
ok i have an 8.8 i bough from a fella from here. it has a 3 inch bolt pattren for the flange and my truck has the 2.5 inche. can i just swap out the flanges? he said the 8.8 came out of a 96 ranger will the springs pearches be right.

side question can i take the internals from a exploader 8.8 and stick them in this one?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I presume your talkin about your truck being the 87 in your sig...I'm not 100% sure but I think you can swap flanges around. If it doesn't fit, I have heard of people drilling the 3" flange for the 2.5" pattern...spring perches will not be a problem...the 28 spline 8.8 and the 31 spline 8.8 are not interchangeable from the tubes out. the 31 spline housing is larger in diameter. The only thing interchangeable on these is the carriers, gears (except spider drive gears, and spider gears should be kept as a set anyways)...IIRC the 8.8 is 1.5" wider than your 7.5, and an Exploder 8.8 is 1.5" wider than the 8.8's under rangers 92+...Hope this helps
SVT

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
i'm looking into the flange problem myself

some say you can swap the pinion flange on the rear diff, but that gets complicated and can easily be done wrong, so i'd stear away from that unless you know what your doing (i dont).

or get the 3in flange for the driveshaft, then get the correct conversion u joint, swap it onto your 87 driveshaft and call it a day. (this is the route i'm going i think)

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If you opt to swap out the driveshaft flange, the conversion joint you need is a 1310-1330 U-joint...hope this helps guys:icon_thumby:
SVT

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys for all the info. I think I will try swapping the flanges first if that don't work I will just drill it and use some grade 12 bolts.

atvkid4eva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Manual
I ran into this same problem when i swapped my 8.8 into my 88' ranger. i found the easiest most cost effective fix was to take the flange from the explorer driveshaft and mate it to the ranger's driveshaft using the 1310-1330 conversion joint. i did some research and found the joint equivelant to the spicer at advance auto for half the price and is holding up fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals