• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 Hybrid idea

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I want to make the BroncoStar a 6x6. How to do that is in the thought process and seems to have put me in lala land for some time now. My rear axle is an 8.8 full width. I was thinking I could build a custom rear diff cover that would house a pinion for a 8.8 IFS F150 front axle and allow me to power the second axle. The diff cover would need a cover on it so you could check my tolerances, and I would need to be able to adjust it left to right like a 9". I would think finding a 4.11 R&P out of a junk yard would be easy enough.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting idea.

So you want to run a drive shaft from the diff cover on the 8.8 back to another 8.8, basically?

I know there's more to it than that, sounds like an interesting build.

So you would need to make a diff cover that retains the pinion yoke with 2 bearings like fatcory set-up. Cool, would it still turn the correct direction?

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Your best bet is to get ahold of a tandem 9" i'll do some digging but i know theres a few aftermarket vendors that sell them.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Some of the old WWII 6x6 trucks used a transfer case with 2 rear outputs. The front rear diff was offset to the same side as the t-case drop with a driveshaft connecting the two. The back diff driveshaft was a two piece with the carrier bearing mounted on top of the front diff.

Don't know if this helps.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Bdabs link is prolly the most economical. I can't find the 9" tandems, maybe it was a one off deal.

The other option is to pick up some monsters like i'm using.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Some of the old WWII 6x6 trucks used a transfer case with 2 rear outputs. The front rear diff was offset to the same side as the t-case drop with a driveshaft connecting the two. The back diff driveshaft was a two piece with the carrier bearing mounted on top of the front diff.

Don't know if this helps.
My other option is to put in a 205 and find a NP200 to rob the rear output out of, but then i would need to relocate the fuel tank, and there just is no other place to put it.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I always thought you used another low pinion and just rotated it around so it pointed out the back. Pretty sure the IFS high pinion won't mesh right. But that means you only have to dig up a spare rear 8.8", fairly easy.

Is there a way to switch it over to a passenger drop case and run the dual rear outputs? yeah you'd have to switch the front axle tubes around which is a pain... but you are attempting to build a 6x6 minivan.

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cut the front/rear axle tube and install another centersection into the tube facing backwar's. have some custom shaft's made. if it spins the wrong direction just flip the last (rear/rear) axle over and it should be spinning the correct direction. idk i think i lost myself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals