• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

79 f150

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an uncle who has one of these. I've tried finding out more info on it but haven't turned up much. Whatever anyone could tell me would be appreciated. Mostly interested in what engine/trans options and t-case and axles this could have come with.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A 79 probably had a 351M or 400
C-6 tranny if it's auto
Front diff is a Dana 44 rear is a 9"
Transfer case most likely is a NP205

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
if i were to get my hands on that truck it wouldnt be for the axles. i would want it to keep it whole.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
THANK YOU.....(clears throat) thank you mac for your kind words.

A 79 could have come equipped with a 302, 351m, 400m, or a 460. The latter three would have the C6 behind them, best automatic ever made in my opinion. The f150 will have a D44 front if its a 4x4 and/or a 9 inch rear. Common gear ratios are 3.55 or 3.73, limit slips are sometimes found. If you could PM me the VIN and all the code information from the door tag and what it corresponds to, i could tell you almost anything about it. Check for front locking hubs if its a 4x4, if it has locking hubs, and they are factory ford units, you most likely have an NP205 transfer case. If you have an auto locking type hub, you have an NP203 case, but some people traded those style hubs for manual lockers to save on gas mileage.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if i were to get my hands on that truck it wouldnt be for the axles. i would want it to keep it whole.
I did not have chopping it up in mind. There is probably more good working things on that truck than my truck. I was just curious as to what kind of running gear, as I am thinking about either trying to restore it with his help or buying it and making it a kick ass rig. Thanks for the info on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals