• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'79 E150 / 460/C6 swap

wailmeister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford E150
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know if a 460/C6 combo will fit into a stock '79 E150 with no AC? They were optional in the '79 E250 and 350s but I assume the frames in those are different from the E150 and I'm wondering if the motor mount brackets might be located lower and/or wider in the chassis to allow for better clearance under the engine cover. Any advice is appreciated!

ITSA 7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
In 1992 I put a 460 and C-6 into a 1982 E-150. Long ago enough that all I remember is that I made my own motor mounts, used 460 truck headers and MSD dist and box. Stock shift linkage hooked up. Engine had a small cam and an 850 double pumper, with a 3 wheeler in the back and the race car on the trailer, I could pass anything but a gas station.

wailmeister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford E150
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know if a 460/C6 combo will fit into a stock '79 E150 with no AC? They were optional in the '79 E250 and 350s but I assume the frames in those are different from the E150 and I'm wondering if the motor mount brackets might be located lower and/or wider in the chassis to allow for better clearance under the engine cover. Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks for the info. '79 and '82 frames should be the same. Fabricating parts won't be a problem. Just don't want to have to make any modifications to the frame or body. Getting the 302 out of the "hole" and the 460 in without a forklift might be a challenge, though. Do you remember how you did it?

ITSA 7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Took a while to remember--first thing I remember was that my wife learned some new words. Put jack stands under the rear axle and ramps under the front wheels. Made a new hook for the engine hoist and ran the chains as close to the intake manifold as possible. Installed the engine and transmission together. I handled the hoist and the wife worked the floor jack under the transmission. Original engine was a 300-6 with a small block C-6 so I used the stock transmission crossmember, but I do not remember whether I had to modify it. Small block C-6 U-Joint fit the BB C-6.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did similar to itsa7 when I R+R'ed the 460 in my 89 RV. It was a pain by myself. I cant remember exactly how I hooked up the engine/trans combo, but I used a 4-point method of hanging the engine with a ratchet strap at the trans side so i could change the angle of the dangle. Even so i ended up man-handling it into place. Just not enough room to have it be easy. Especially with the EFI manifold.

wailmeister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford E150
Transmission
Manual
I did similar to itsa7 when I R+R'ed the 460 in my 89 RV. It was a pain by myself. I cant remember exactly how I hooked up the engine/trans combo, but I used a 4-point method of hanging the engine with a ratchet strap at the trans side so i could change the angle of the dangle. Even so i ended up man-handling it into place. Just not enough room to have it be easy. Especially with the EFI manifold.
Yeah, raising the vehicle to improve angle of attack is the way to go if you have the means. A buddy has a couple of drive-on lifts at his shop. I figure if I level the boom on the hoist and raise and lower the truck as needed I should be able to roll that 720 lb monster into place without too much trouble. Here's to hoping. Thanks, guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals