• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.5 LOCK RIGHT install for tech library

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford 7.5 Lock-Right Install
By: Josh Lee

First, take out the spare tire to provide clearance for removing the differential cover.Next, Jack up the rear of the truck and place securely on jackstands. Don't forget to chock the front tires!

Next, drain the gear oil out of the differential.

Next, remove the bolt securing the crosspin in place located on the passenger side of the diff. carrier. (hint...rotate the carrier to fit a 1/4" ratchet between the bolt and the bearing cap)Note- truck must be in nuetral.

Next, slide out the crosspin then rotate the carrier to remove the spider gears.

With the spiders and crosspin removed you can slide in the axle shaft to remove the C-clips that retain the axleshafts. (hint... if the axle shaft doesn't slide in far enough for the C-clips to clear the side gears, try loosening the adjusters on the drum brakes. Worn drums will have a lip on the edge of the pad preventing you to slide the hub and axle shaft inward)

After the C-clips are removed, you can slide the axle shafts out about 4 to 6" and pull out the side gears. Note, there are thrust washers located behind the side gears. Dont mix these up, you will need to install them in the sides they came out of.

Grease up the cogs on both couplers and slide the driver side coupler and slide in the axle shaft, and install the C-clip with the open end pointing down so it wont fall off. Now sharply pull on the driver side tire/hub to seat the C-clip.

Now install the passenger side coupler and slide in the axle shaft so it is flush with the coupler. Grease up the cogs on both drivers. Apply grease to the shear pins and install into windows of drivers. Place the small diameter springs into the large diameter springs and fill with grease so they wont seperate. Slide a driver onto the the driver side driver, seating the cogs and slide the spacer inside the driver and make sure it seats over the C-clip and the shoulder built in to the coupler. The grease will hold it in place. Note, notice the flat spots on the outside of the drivers...they allow you to slide the driver into the carrier.

Now slide the other spacer inside the driver and slide it into the case. sit it to the opposite side and now slide in the passenger side axle shaft. There is a recess in the cogs to slide in the C-clip. Pull tire/hub out sharply to seat C-clip again. Line up cogs on passenger side coupler and driver. Use a screw driver to seat the spacer onto the C-clip. Now you can line up the drivers so the crosspin holes match and start sliding the shear pins to the opposite driver using a small screwdriver in the windows.

Next install the springs into the windows to secure the pins in place. Make sure the springs are seated all the way back in the window. The installation manual recommended using a small screwdriver to compress the spring, but i had no problem with my fingers then using a screwdriver to seat the spring properly.

Now rotate the axle shaft so the bolt hole for the crosspin is facing you and install the crosspin and retaining bolt.

Your Lock-Right is now installed and you are ready to replace diff. cover,(after cleaning old gasket of coarse) and fill with gear oil. No limited slip friction modifier needed.

Happy wheeling! and don't forget that a locker can get you into alot more trouble than an open diff. so don't be careless.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Thanks Josh. You have larger pics we can use?

rebel3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yea they are small but, very help full

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yes i have larger pics but i didnt want to take up a bunch of server space...would you like me to send or post them somewhere??

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Rocky Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good Job!

Nice tech article! :rockon:
How much for that kit?

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Lock-Right I got on ebay for $352.97 shipped to my door. And then about $30 for gear oil and the diff cover gasket.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is there really that noticeable of a difference with a locker compared to a stock open diff? I have the kind where if I'm stuck, one tire spins, the other does nothing.

Allen

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Extreme difference!! Every where I could go in 4wd, I can go in 2wd. This locks the axle shafts so both tires will spin. I can now get my truck sideways on dry pavement with no problem.

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Quick question. Im taking my box off soon, if I get a locker would it be easy to install with the box off? I have a second gas tank instead of a spare and there is a big skid plate over it so I think removing it for clearance would be a pain.

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you can slide the diff cover off then it can be done without removing the box...my spare tire was close enough to the rearend there was evidence of the tire rubbing the diff cover during susp. compression, and it did not look like enough room to remove the diff cover between the ring gear and tire because of its shape. It may have been possible but i didnt even try. As for your situation, I bet you could get by with just removing the skid plate, it should only be about 4 or 6 bolts. I kind of doubt removing the bed will help much.

erslincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It might be me, but it looks like the pic links are broken. Are these photos stored elsewhere?

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is there really that noticeable of a difference with a locker compared to a stock open diff? I have the kind where if I'm stuck, one tire spins, the other does nothing.

Allen
You have an open diff. Fine for a on road truck, but I laugh on the inside at guys that want to be serious about 4x4ing and stay with open diffs.

There is a HUGE difference. Lockers are worth it if the truck sees 50% (or more) on road use. If you see less on road than that, I think it's just better to weld it, way cheaper.

Thnks for the tech contribution 86XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals