• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.5 Limited slip to open

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
My truck started bucking pretty bad when cornering last night and this morning. So I checked the brakes then the diff; and have found my top spider gear to be "slightly trimmed" on half a dozen teeth.

Is it possible to remove the S spring and pull the bad spider (or both) and run it as an open carrier?

I've got an explorer 8.8 limted slip with matching gears lined up, but won't be able to pick it up till next Saturday, so I need some fix to get me by till I can get it and swap it in.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
no, without your spiders you wont be going anywhere. the part that makes it limited slip is the clutches that try to keep those spiders from moving, an open diff wont have the clutches but will still have the spiders. my only real thought for a band aid fix is to weld it solid. personally i would probably just keep driving it the way it is as long as you know for sure youll be getting your other axle next weekend. a welded diff is gonna be tough on tires among other things and won't be a ton of fun to street drive. maybe carry a wrench to be able to pull your driveshaft if the axle really takes a shit, at least then youll be able to limp home in 4wd.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Any other thoughts/opinions?

I'm thinking I may shim the clutch side gear out to contact the trimmed gear better.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Any other thoughts/opinions?

I'm thinking I may shim the clutch side gear out to contact the trimmed gear better.
Sure, since you have it far enough apart, shim it. Whilst you're down there give the D shaft stuff a shot of rust buster, and carry the tools to take it off and run on the front end. Good luck with bodge. :icon_thumby:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If your spiders have material missing, why not figure out why they material is being shaved off and get a set of spiders from the JY and fix it properly.....just ij case he 8.8 doesn't quite work out like you thought it would.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Right now, I'm assuming that the reason some teeth are trimmed is from some black ice or slick spots on the roads the last few days. That coupled with some, most likely, worn clutches and bam trimmed teeth.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up my 8.8 yestreday, now I'm starting to rebuild it.

Just so I get my vehicular information correct, the axle tag has a date code listing of 5M11; does mean May 11th, 1995?

Edit:
After poking around on the net a little bit, I believe it to be December 11, 1995.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals