• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

69 Ford XL

BigJohn76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i just picked up this beauty for $500. its a 1969 Ford XL fastback with a 302 auto.

the interior is absolutely amazing.

and a pic of the girl that hates it.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Ooh man I'm seeing the potential. That is one sweet looking ride.

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
SEXY!!!!!!!!!

do the light flaps both open?!!!!!

Last edited:

BigJohn76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
SEXY!!!!!!!!!

do the light flaps both open?!!!!!
yes they do. everything works except one headlight that is burnt out. the hide away headlights are so cool. i always loved those old cougars, this isnt but its close enough for me.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
All for $500?!?!?!

That's a pretty slick ride.

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
my dad had one of those as his first car, definitely cool

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That is a very cool XL! Most of them were 390s and 429s, with some 351s mixed in, so a 302 is pretty unusual. Your interior looks good; white vinyl is great-looking to me.

In case you're wondering, the color is "Diamond Green," that went along with "Diamond Blue," a very pale blue (my friend's Mom's '69 Thunderbird was Diamond Blue).

I have NEVER seen a radio-delete '69-'70 full-size Ford before! We had a '70 Country Squire that had an AM/FM stereo that fit in that same space where it reads "FORD."

Good find!

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Nice, had the earlier version with a much larger glass rear window.

But, where is the clock??

Here is a tip,
Find another set of FRONT springs and put then in the REAR. The car will sit up 4 inches !!

Find a 6-cylinder torque converter, replace yours (drill new holes in the flex plate) the engine will be 500 RPM higher on launch.

Pull the vacumn hose from the rear of the transmission, put a small screwdriver in the hole and turn the screw clockwise, reinstall hose, the shift points will move up,

BigJohn76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice, had the earlier version with a much larger glass rear window.

But, where is the clock??

Here is a tip,
Find another set of FRONT springs and put then in the REAR. The car will sit up 4 inches !!

Find a 6-cylinder torque converter, replace yours (drill new holes in the flex plate) the engine will be 500 RPM higher on launch.

Pull the vacumn hose from the rear of the transmission, put a small screwdriver in the hole and turn the screw clockwise, reinstall hose, the shift points will move up,
there is no clock. this thing is a base model and i cant find info on any other one like it so the plan is to do the body work and maybe rebuild the motor and return it to original condition. all the numbers match and there is just something about that that i like. it is by no means a muscle car and i dont expect it to be one, but i will keep this in mind if i find something else like it.

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here's what the radio on a '69-'70 full-size Ford looks like.

This is the AM/FM Stereo, like our Country Squire had. In addition to the two knobs (volume/tone, tuner/balance), there is another knob down where the headlight switch was that controls the fader (two speakers in the doors, two in the back right behind the rear seat). The knobs (they look just like the fan and lighter knobs) are rather chintzy plastic with metal inserts where they push onto the shafts. Just to the right of the 16/108 on the dial is the "stereo jewel light," which glows amber when an FM stereo station is being received.

The AM-only unit is similar; the AM/8-track says "Stereo" on the dial, with a sort-of-ugly underdash unit where the tapes would go, but with the radio functions controlled through the head unit.

This design is ideal for control-freak drivers as ONLY the driver can control the radio! We used to hate it when we were kids and mom didn't want to listen to tunes as she drove!

The clock goes on the right side of the dash, mirroring the shape of the radio.

BigJohn76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here's what the radio on a '69-'70 full-size Ford looks like.

This is the AM/FM Stereo, like our Country Squire had. In addition to the two knobs (volume/tone, tuner/balance), there is another knob down where the headlight switch was that controls the fader (two speakers in the doors, two in the back right behind the rear seat). The knobs (they look just like the fan and lighter knobs) are rather chintzy plastic with metal inserts where they push onto the shafts. Just to the right of the 16/108 on the dial is the "stereo jewel light," which glows amber when an FM stereo station is being received.

The AM-only unit is similar; the AM/8-track says "Stereo" on the dial, with a sort-of-ugly underdash unit where the tapes would go, but with the radio functions controlled through the head unit.

This design is ideal for control-freak drivers as ONLY the driver can control the radio! We used to hate it when we were kids and mom didn't want to listen to tunes as she drove!

The clock goes on the right side of the dash, mirroring the shape of the radio.
thats cool. the thing is that the car is a factory original no radio. i like to cruise around and just listen to the engine. it gives me time to think and relax.

Louisville86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree; the radio-delete look is way cooler to me, just because it's very rare and unusual. That style dashboard is one of my favorites because it's so over-the-top.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals