• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

64" chevy leaf spring swap questions

Maverick83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The spring has a weird compound bow feeling when you stand on the leaf spring to force it to full droop. The leaf springs were re-arched to 13 inches. shackles flipped. 7.5 inch shackles (eye to eye). Front spring hangers moved 6 inches forward. seems like springs don't have enough arch. I would think I want to see springs at full droop when installed like in pic. wont this mess with trying to set rebound setting on rear shocks?? any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Maverick83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
update: got springs installed along with expo 8.8. shackles were vertical with springs mounted to 7.5" holes. With shackles 90*+ from datum the ride was harsh in the rear. I Ended up moving rear spring hangers back 1 width - similar as front hangers. Shackles now sit facing forward towards spring (less than 90* from datum). Ride is much smoother. Probably going to move rear hangers forward 1.5". If you look at the tech write up on the "chevy 64" spring swap" you can see in two of the pics that the rear hanger were moved back 1 full width then moved forward between the two mounting points. I will have the springs re-arched again to 15.5" - 16". The springs settled more than I anticipated so the truck is squatted more in rear that i would like. Along with fixing the squatting issue getting the springs re-arched will bring the "eyes" closer together, hopefully removing the compound bow feeling I was getting when i was forcing the springs full droop. Was able to test the truck this last weekend, night and day difference between the 8.8 ls diff and more flex in the rear suspension.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals