• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

6 months later, still shuddering

Trevorrudai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good morning ranger station. I've posted pretty much this exact same thing probably 2 or 3 times. My 2.9 has a shudder/shaking issue and has since the day I got it running after buying it. This is probably my 4th or 5th time having this problem randomly just show up one day when I get in to drive it some where, after having "fixed it" within just 1 - 3 weeks prior. It honestly at this point seems like I can just randomly pick any 1 of the dozen or more parts/components that could cause this, replace whatever one I trouble shooted it to and decided was my problem, and the truck will run like a TOP, for a couple weeks and then guess what? Back to the drawing board. When I say it seems like I can pick any part at random, replace it, have my issue not only solved, but thoroughly impressed with the way it performs after, then the problem is back again a cpl weeks later and it's been a never ending cycle. Here is the list of everything I've already replaced:
Wheel bearings
Hubs
Carrier bearing/center support bearing
U Joints
Spark plugs x2
Wires
Coil
Distributor cap
Distributor
Set to 10 degrees btdc
Pcm
IAC
tested TPS - passed
O2 sensor - passed
Fuel pump in tank
Fuel filter
Fuel lines
Fuel pressure regulator
Air filter
Map/maf tested and passed
EGR/evr tested & passed
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others.
So does anybody have idea what the heck I should do with this truck? It's my daily driver or I would love to just park it and rebuild the motor unfortunately I can't and it has to get me to work... In less than 24 hours. Any help is really greatly appreciated

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
We need more to go on:
When did you first notice it-not"Tuesday", driving conditions, speed, load, weather, etc?
Does it change -improve or get worse- based on speed, engine load, driveline load, engine temp, ambient temp, or any other condition you've noticed?
Once it starts can you do anything to make it stop or exaggerate it?
Is the MIL/check engine light on? Are there any DTC's?
Is it something you can hear or is it something you only feel?

Trevorrudai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I first noticed it when I purchased it and got it on the road for the first time. That was back in November roughly 35 degrees outside on average. If I keep truck under more load it is much less noticeable other than when climbing through the 40 - 50 MPH range which is when you can definitely feel what I would describe as more of a consistent bounce then as u pass over 50 MPH it starts to mellow back out, however say the speed limit is 55... You START to mellow out after 50, and it mellows out the further passed 50 you get so say your going to be cruising at 55 mph, you'll get that consistent "bounce" the entire time you drive at 55mph, just only half as dramatic as per say 45mph. The only way I know of to reduce how dramatic it is, is to ride the clutch longer coming out of each gear, or just drive it like a raped ape every where that I go. No codes no check engine lights. As far as being able to hear it goes, only able to when coming out of a hear when it sounds like the clutch got released too soon and the this thud this that most any car makes when releasing clutch prematurely. I have noticed on the throttle linkage where it connects to the throttle plate there is a slight slack in the link for example standing in front of the hood if I press on the throttle link it has just a little bit of give or wiggle the four the throttle plate actually starts to open. I'm wondering if the throttle position sensor is getting an incorrect reading for example if I press on the throttle link just a tiny bit to where there's no slack maybe one part of the vehicle is telling it to go while the other part still hasn't picked up the reading I don't know

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Do you feel it in the seat and/or floor, or in the steering wheel?
The floor or seat would indicate it's coming from the rear.
If you feel it in the steering wheel it could be from either end, if it's from the rear the wheel will shake up and down in the same direction that tilt wheel moves. If it's from the front the wheel is apt to shake side to side.
Have the tires been checked for run out and balance, and are they suitable for the truck. If they're load range E/10 ply they don't belong on a Ranger.
If it has a center bearing on the driveshaft I assume it's a long box, when replacing the u joints are you sure the driveshaft is phased correctly?
Have you checked the transmission mount, if it's weak or broken it would amplify a minor driveline vibration.
If the truck is lifted the driveline angles are likely too steep and that would cause a vibration.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
No offense intended but in reading your description I really don't know what you're trying to describe. Is this a shudder in the engine, drivetrain or suspension? The list of things you've replaced does't correlate to anything. You talk about changing how you release the clutch, but also that it continues to bounce. Maybe try again to describe what happens, not assuming anyone knows anything about it or remembers anything from your other threads?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I first noticed it when I purchased it and got it on the road for the first time. That was back in November roughly 35 degrees outside on average. If I keep truck under more load it is much less noticeable other than when climbing through the 40 - 50 MPH range which is when you can definitely feel what I would describe as more of a consistent bounce then as u pass over 50 MPH it starts to mellow back out, however say the speed limit is 55... You START to mellow out after 50, and it mellows out the further passed 50 you get so say your going to be cruising at 55 mph, you'll get that consistent "bounce" the entire time you drive at 55mph, just only half as dramatic as per say 45mph. The only way I know of to reduce how dramatic it is, is to ride the clutch longer coming out of each gear, or just drive it like a raped ape every where that I go. No codes no check engine lights. As far as being able to hear it goes, only able to when coming out of a hear when it sounds like the clutch got released too soon and the this thud this that most any car makes when releasing clutch prematurely. I have noticed on the throttle linkage where it connects to the throttle plate there is a slight slack in the link for example standing in front of the hood if I press on the throttle link it has just a little bit of give or wiggle the four the throttle plate actually starts to open. I'm wondering if the throttle position sensor is getting an incorrect reading for example if I press on the throttle link just a tiny bit to where there's no slack maybe one part of the vehicle is telling it to go while the other part still hasn't picked up the reading I don't know
My first thought was a wheel out of balance. (mentioned above by Walt). Then I read your two posts in this thread again, and it dawned on me:

1) It goes away when you change a random part that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the problem (nothing forward of the transmission (except front wheel bearings, wheels and tires) would cause what you're describing).
2) Riding the clutch seems to solve it.
3) It's really bad at 45mph, then starts to settle at 50.

I have a couple of questions for you:
1) What gear are you in when it starts happening at 45 MPH?
2) When you're accelerating from 45 MPH, does it feel like you have no power at all until you are above 55?

It sounds to me like you're lugging your engine. *I* think you're shifting into 5th gear too soon. Tomorrow on your way to work, don't shift into 5th gear until you are at cruising speed. Then report back tomorrow night, and tell us if your truck still shook.

NOTE: In the Gen1 trucks, 5th gear is OVERDRIVE. Technically, you're not supposed to shift into it until you reach cruising speed, and if you need to speed up, you're supposed to downshift into 4th. At least, that's what I was taught.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
What year is your truck?

Happen to know which transmission is in it?

Did you touch the screw on the side of the throttle body? Cause you'll have a bad time if you do.

What size are your tires?

Rear axle code?

These seem like odd questions, but have a point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals